In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Malherbe Muzzleloader Question

lizcor68lizcor68 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have been a WW2 collector for years, My brothre in law recently bought an estate with numerous items from that period + a Malherbe muzzleloader. Since we dont know anything about them I thought I'd post here and see what anyone may know. It is obviously military, 41" barrel, cheek is cut out, 75 cal. Our thoughts were a sniper rifle, but dunno for sure. I can send pics if you may have an idea what it is. We are looking for whatever we can find out IE: time period, type, value, as it will be sold.
Thanks, Tom

lizcor68@yahoo.com

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a reference to Malherbe in one of my books. It was the name of a family in Belgium that was very promient in the firearms business. This would be during the 19th Century, which would be the correct time frame for your muzzleloader.

Although it's a muzzleloader, it could possibly date to the cartridge era of the late 19th Century. They were assembled from older parts by various Belgian firms for European colonial armies and for sales to natives in various countries who didn't have access to modern cartridges.

Post photos of all markings on lockplate and proofmarks. Generally it would be more valued by a collector if it was made in a European Military Arsenal and had national markings/proofmarks, rather then being assembled for commercial sale from older parts in a Belgian factory.

luger_4.jpg
  • lizcor68lizcor68 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks much for the info! I am a total computer dummy and don't know how to add pics in the forum. I have taken shots of the markings (which all seem to match) If someone can let me know how to add I'd be happy to.
    Tom
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    lizcor68 pictures, I had to shrink them down.

100_1375.jpg
    100_1372.jpg
    100_1373.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    100_1376.jpg
    100_1377.jpg
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help posting the pics. I look forward to any help possible.
    Tom
    edited November -1
    The markings shown aren't Belgian commercial proofmarks. They appear to be most likely used/found on military rifles of the period for identification purposes. The only thing that I can guess on, is the way the hammer spur is shaped. The rounded forward radius is characteristic of Prussian military firearms. It is quite easy to swap and/or refit them though.

Best thing to do would be to get a hands-on appraisal from a knowledgeable collector or dealer who specializes in 19th Century blackpowder firearms. Thousands of Prussian rifles & muskets ( Potsdam ) were imported during the civil war. It's always possible that the Malherbe marking can be associated with these guns.

luger_4.jpg
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Hello, I have found one on a site for sale, looks the same but is a different maker, does not have the same site and mine is 75 cal. It is 69. The 1 for sale now says they were Civil War imports.
    I would like to sell it. And as I have never sold on gun broker, is it a good venue to sell such a piece.
    Tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lizcor68
    Hello, I have found one on a site for sale, looks the same but is a different maker, does not have the same site and mine is 75 cal. It is 69. The 1 for sale now says they were Civil War imports.
    I would like to sell it. And as I have never sold on gun broker, is it a good venue to sell such a piece.
    Tom

Re: my previous post. I would get a hands-on from a knowledgeable collector or dealer prior to selling. If you choose not to do this, GunBroker is the best site on the net to sell it on.

luger_4.jpg
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Would You post a Photo of the Lock Plate.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff