In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

actions

stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
what is the difference between a short and long action dont know if I asked the question right if not forgive me

Comments

• texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These terms refer to the length of the cartridge for which the action is designed. Some examples: A short action is for .308 Winchester length cartridges (approximately 2.81" long), and a standard length action is for .30-06 length cartridges (approximately 3.34" long). A short action is usually about 1/2" shorter than a standard length action. There is also a long or magnum length action, which is for .375 H&H length cartridges (approximately 3.6" long).
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Remington's and Winchester's standard length actions will fit a 375 H&H. The Ruger standard length action will not.[:D]

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]---Yo steveg, short/long action mean----NOTHING
    it was an advertising change to "SELL"--although it differentiates calibers. Weatherby came out with 60 degree bolt throw (Big deal)-right!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Briefly it goes something like this, centerfire rifle cartridges fall into several overall case length catagories. .223 wants a mirco length action, like the Sako or the CZ527 or mini mauser, but more often or not gets used in a short length action which is adequate for the .308 family of case. Short length actions are usually too short for the mauser (7x57 & 8x57) case family of cartridges and so they are generally built on the so called standard, 30-06, length action. Standard lenth will handle most of the 7mmRemMag and kin as well as all the 06 cartridges. The standard length actions used to be the most common, but now some manufacturer are only making long magnum capable actions and short actions and letting the magazine dictate what fits where. My model 70 classic new was a 7mmRemMag and is now been rebarreled into a 8mmRemMag. It all comes down to the throw of the bolt, and the magazine, have to be long enough for the loaded cartridge to be chambered and ejected. After that you can build/buy them as you see fit. Though in general shorter actions seem to be slightly stiffer and therefore just a little more accurate. Personally I'm not a good enough shot to be real impressed with the difference. But I also don't like packing any extra un-needed steel uphill and down dale.

that you want to shoot the "length" of the action can be
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well.....all the BS aside, the short action is for chamberings in the 308case size/length and less, and the long action is for bullets that are in the 270/280/30-06/7mm mag/300 mag length. That is the real difference, nothing more.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And as Allen in Alaska explained, some cartridges can be found in both short action and standard long action if they are close enough in the middle, depending on manufacture of the rifle. But, I think you get the idea. One is a short action and the other longer action with the length of the .308 cartridge generally the break. Where it only really matters is if you were to rebarrel your rifle for a different caliber. You would be limited to your choice of new caliber by the length of your rifle's action.
    John