In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

removing grease from m44 nagont

johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
just bought a couple of m44 nagonts what it the best way to remove the grease that they use to store them.

Comments

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Do a search for cosmo removal or similar phrase and see past posts on this subject. It seems to come up about every 2 weeks or so.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I like to use a hand torch and heat it up just a little so it ain't so sticky makes it easier to clean then I'll use some ol'fashioned elbow grease and gun oil.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Search for previous results. Most go for a soak in Mineral Spirits , Kerosine, etc., etc.. Then patience, some toothpicks, brushes, a sqirt bottle and cup-o-solvent du jour. Brake cleaners are a popular 'finish up' to get everything off, but patience is probably the most important ingredient.
  • king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't make it complicated! Kerosine is as good as anything else. Just be careful; it is highly flammable. Do it outdoors.
    morty
  • cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats on your new rifles,..when i got my M-38 and M-44 i got my trusty screwdriver and a bottle of break free gun oil,..good luck

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Here's a good article I found on the internet about cosmoline removal.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/index.asp

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the help i guy at work gave me a idea so i used it...
    he told me to use wd-40 but i used liquid wrench to remove it it came off really esally even on the wood
    then i used degreaser to get the liquid wrench of the wood.. was done in about 2 1/2 hours for both guns..i tried the degreaser on the cosmoline first but the liguid wrench broke it up 10 times faster.
  • M44M44 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I'll have to try that sometime

The Mosin Nagant Rifle
    http://www.MNrifle.tk
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Be aware, though the cosmo is removed, it will surely still 'sweat' grease when it heats up in the hot sun, or at the range. Be sure to bring an old rag along to wipe this away! In fact, since you already got it done, it doesn't matter, but my suggestion would have been to wrap the gun in a black garbage bag and put it in the sun a few hours to really heat it up, melt off the grease, and wipe it down, follwed by a wipe with kerosene, but anyhow... I'll have to try that liquid wrench.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ya i thought about that to so i took the hair dryer to it for awhile to see if i could get any more out of it... couldnt get much more. but only tried for a couple of min... wife came home and cought me using her hairdryer..