In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Am I mixing up trouble ?

luvberettaluvberetta Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
Dose anyone know if there is harm in cleaniing barrel bore with Hoppe's 9 then again with Shooter's choice to remove cooper and plastic and then a final clean out with Hoppe's 9 ? I have done this for awhile now, but read to watch out that some brand's don't mix.

Comments

• Options
    788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Hoppe's #9BR. Use a nylon brush tho.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    To be on the safe side you should not mix different brands of cleaner. Use the one then clean with alcohol then use the other one............... otherwise there is a possibility of damage....
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a recent article in either Handgunner or Guns and Ammo
    (can't remember which) that mentions a couple of specific combo's that can result in an etched barrel or cylinder.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    always read the instructions. IT HELPS ANSWER QUESTIONS [:p][:p]

dcs shooters,

ADDED:BY WHO [?][?]

Don't be rude.

Not rude. Most cleaners have instructions about mixing with something else [;)]
    _

Your initial reference to the poster was rude which is why I deleted it. [}:)]
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    Check out KG Industries' web sight. They have solvents that actually work, expecially on copper fouling.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "mixing" solvents means exactly that,..mixing them together. As long as you dry patch after each one,..you can run the next chemical right behind the other.

The reason they state this is because some solvents, when mixed together, will form acids, amines, etc, and can cause etching of the bore.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as we're talking about the evils of mixing things, I might point out that it is not a good idea to mix gun oils either. despite the name "oil", they are all chemical compounds. Some of those "oils" mixed together will make the stickiest goo you've ever seen. If you have to change lubricants, make sure you've removed the old stuff completely.
  • Options
    walther86walther86 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cleaned some of my grandpa's rifles the other day and I could tell immediately that he hadn't cleaned out some of the old oil before he got new stuff. Those rifles were so gummed up it made me want to cry.[V]Sad times...Sad times...