In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CETME ????

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I took a look at the CETME rifles for auction - are they identical to the HK-91??? They sure look like it.

Parts interchangeability? Mags, etc.?

I'm excited about this!!

Comments

• gunner8479gunner8479 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CETME is a cheap copy of the Hk-91....I know a few individuals who own them and they are not entirely happy about having them. They are cheaply made and unreliable from what I've experienced. Many people are buying them because of the inexpensive price.

Save your money and buy a better made Hk-91 style rifle, try the Special Weapons 91 type rifles or the Springfield Armory SAR-8.
    If you are looking for a rifle that costs as little as a CETME, try an FAL L1Al style rifle....they're more reliable and won't give you as much of a headache as a CETME.[:)]

To answer your question, some parts do interchange with the original HK-91....if you do indeed go for a CETME, be careful...there are many CETME models with receivers that look like they were shaped out of roofing tin.

gunner8479
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrong. The hk-91 is a knockoff of the cetme. From what ive heard, its a great fun shooter. Youve just got to know what to look for. www.cetmerifels.com

d852d797.jpg

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
    edited November -1
    If you search the past threads and the history of the CETME design, you'll find out that the German designed CETME with roller locking system was borrowed by the Spanish. Face it!, the CETME clones on the market today are poorly imitated versions of the original CETME,G36, Hk-91 design.
    That is why it's so cheap....finding one that works as well as an original CETME or Hk-91 is like finding a needle in a haystack. I doubt German engineers would've borrowed a Spanish design.
    The clones on the market suffer from quality control, they are pieced together from used surplus parts. They are all a crap-shot.
    I'm pretty sure if DSA made a complete new one it would function like it should...till then, I'll stick with my Hk rifles.

Contrary to what you may have been told......Spam is not steak![;)]

gunner8479
  • toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well i own a hk 91,93,94 and i love them...i also own three cetme's...these are great rifles for the money and all mine are cosmetically perfect and all function perfect..never had a problem with any of them...just my two cents.....
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I have one of those "cheap Cetmes" and they shoot great. Contrary to what some think they know the Cetme is a good shooting gun. We have sold several at my fathers shop and all that bought them have been very pleased. Most of the Cetmes are complete matching guns with the exception of new receivers. The guns that they did have some problems with were the Cetmes that were made from different parts from several guns. Many of those guns had some problems with the bolts. The opinion as to whether or not the Cetme is a decent rifle runs in favor of the Cetme. If you have the extra money and want an HK then buy one but do so by good information not just because one person puts down the Cetmes. As to finding one that works being compared to a needle in a haystack then I will say this to the person that made that remark, I found a whole needle factory in my haystack! The new Cetmes do need 200+ rounds shot through them to loosen them up. Mine has had several thousand rounds shot through it with NO problems! Just my opinion but check out the site that trooperchin suggested.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
    edited November -1
    People, I am not degrading all CETME designed rifles.......what I'm trying to point out is that most CETME clone rifles are lacking in quality compared to the quality of other brands. I do like the design, I own six different rifles that use the same design. The original CETME rifles are good battle proven rifles, the low priced clones you see are not. I too work part time in a gun store/range and have seen my fair share of dissapointments with CETME clones. Complaints are of misfeeding,misfiring,poor accuracy, and more.
    But for $300.00 bucks, that's totally up to you.......take a chance!

Trooper, what I meant to say was that most CETME clones on the market are knockoffs.

gunner8479
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Gunner8479 - I'm looking at getting one of these rifles in order to find out if I have any interest in shooting "military style" weapons. I looked at AR types, but decided that I wanted the 7.62NATO cal. I really don't care what weapon I first purchase. If you look at my other threads about this, you'll see that I would prefer a short-barrelled M1A. Can't afford it.
    If you have any other suggestions, besides the CETME, I'm all ears. If I like the first one I get, I will step on up to more expensive ones. Where would I find info on the FAL L1A1? And... how much do they cost?

Thank you all for your help...from Doug
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Resources for FN/FAL L1A1 rifles:

www.fnfal.com
    www.L1A1.com
    www.gunsnstuff.net
    www.southernohiogun.com
    www.tapco.com

gunner8479
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CETMEs can be fun guns, but expect to spend several hours tinkering to get a factory fresh gun degreased and up and running. Most likely, you will have to expend several hundred rounds to break in the barrel. Wear hearing protection, these are loud! If you can afford an HK, go for it. If you can't, buy the CETME and try it out.
    If you don't like it, someone on GunBroker probably will be interested.
  • LouDogLouDog Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunner8479
    People, I am not degrading all CETME designed rifles.......what I'm trying to point out is that most CETME clone rifles are lacking in quality compared to the quality of other brands. I do like the design, I own six different rifles that use the same design. The original CETME rifles are good battle proven rifles, the low priced clones you see are not. I too work part time in a gun store/range and have seen my fair share of dissapointments with CETME clones. Complaints are of misfeeding,misfiring,poor accuracy, and more.
    But for $300.00 bucks, that's totally up to you.......take a chance!

Trooper, what I meant to say was that most CETME clones on the market are knockoffs.

gunner8479

It has nothing to do with taking a "chance". The reality is this: a $300 anything is not comparable to a $2000 anything. Those FAL's you're talking about that go for about $100 more than the CETME's? You got some pretty s**tty ones in that group too.

Look, if you like the way the CETME looks, go to the gunboards and do some research. If you buy one, be prepared to work on it. I am just a normal joe with some ambition very little gunsmithing experience and my CETME was pretty poor when I bought it. But I knew what to look for (both good and bad) and I was prepared to put a little TLC into my rifle. Now I'm the envy of all my AR-15 friends that have done nothing but shoot and clean their rifles. No modifying, no nothing. They all have the same hum-drum thing as the guy next to him. OOOH, another AR. I have a CETME built exactly the way I want it, I'm constantly getting complements at the range, I'm proud of all the hard work I've put into it, I bought it for $300 and put another $200 worth of work into it --- but it's still HUNDREDS of dollars cheaper than my buddy's AR's, better looking than any FAL I've seen, and I'll put my CETME up against ANY rifle on any day and go toe-to-toe.

The bottom line is this: many rifles exist for many different tastes. Go ahead and find what you like, just educate yourself before you spend your hard earned money.

Just don't knock other people's rifles and don't talk about S**T you don't know. Whether you meant to or not "gunner" you offend people by knocking their hardware, and you misled a newbie on the CETME when you went spouting off about how bad they were. Next time be accurate in what you're saying, or say nothing at all.

Visit: www.cetmerifles.com and the ever popular CETME forum on www.gunboards.com
  • JacobiteJacobite Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Loudog. Get your facts Gunner. The Cetme was designed by German's in SPAIN when the Germans were not permitted to build weapons. Once they were allowed to build again they took the Cetme design home and turned it into the G3. The first ones built in germany were actually marked Cetme also.

Now as for the Cetme. There are issues. They most likly will need tinkered with like many of the rifles built by century. They are not a cheap clone of the G3 though. They are Spanish battle rifles period, and were designed BEFORE the G3.