In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Universal M1 Carbine

SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
So I've got this Universal M1 Carbine that I bought in the early 80's, I was around 14 years old.
I added a Choate folding stock five or so years later.
I added a scope mount and scope three or so years ago.
The scope mount replaced the rear site and attached at the single screw that attached the rear sight. I don't find it all that strong a mount, but I added some "lock-tight" to the screw.
I believe that from time to time the ejected rounds are striking the bottom of the scope mount.
I'm looking to add something that will deflect the spent shells before they can hit the bottom of the scope.
I can see that on the left side of the receiver, (left in shooting stance), there are four screw holes that I seem to recall a shell deflector could be attached to. They may have been for some type of scope mount, I really am not sure.
I'm looking for advise, thoughts, what have you on this issue.
Thanks,
DSM

Comments

• SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need at slide stop lever for my carbine. It is the redesigned carbines from universal. There are no GI parts on it. The lever holds the slide open. Numrich doesnt have them, and everyone else only has GI parts. Any ideas???
    edited November -1
    I have a universal m1 carbine. . It hits the primer hard enough to dent the primer but it will not fire. The head space as far as I can tell is somewhere around .22thousands. I have replased firing pin and spring. Any one out there having the same problem? What should the head space be for this M1? Thanks 45
    edited November -1
    I have a fellow Paramedic that is wanting to sell me a Universal M1 Carbine. It's in great shape. It comes with a 5 round magazine and two 15 rounders. He says that the 15's won't work, though. He says that Universal changed something with their mags and only Universal Brand mags will work. Any comments? He's offering the gun, sling, and 4 boxes of ammo for $300. Somebody enlighten me!!!
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at buying this rifle. I'd rate it at 90%. The store is asking $319 + tax. Is $319 the right price for this rifle? Thanks, Leonard.
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Universal M1 carbine for $250. I was told that no other parts, except for Universal parts, would work for on it. Also did universal make them on military contract or just on the civilian market? The serial number start out as 346XXX, can anyone tell about how old the rifle is from that serial number. Any comments or knowlegde about this rifles would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    My father in-law purchased a Universal M1 Carbine with a broken slide. Apparently this was a common problem with the later Universal models due to being cheaply made. Where would I be able to find this slide? I feel like I have tried everywhere.
    edited November -1
    I have a universal m1 carbine that has a broken extractor. I have been told that you could use a surplus GI issue carbine bolt to fix this problem. We ordered the bolt but it does not fit. Can anyone tell us how to fix this problem.
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a slide stop lever and spring for a Universal M1 Carbine. If any one knows where to get them other than Numrich Gun Parts please let me know.
    edited November -1
    Would a Choate folding stock fit my first gen Universal M1 Carbine? I have read that the first gen Universals are GI spec, but it says on the Choate website that the stocks won't fit most Universal M1's. If it does fit, is it worth spending the money on a Universal M1? I used to shoot it years ago and can't recall having any problems with it at all, but I read all these reviews just slamming them. I like the gun but if they really suck that bad, I don't want to spend any money on it. Most of the bad reviews I have seen are in reference to the 2nd and 3rd gen Universals so maybe the first Gens are ok. I haven't seen any reviews on the first gens good or bad.
  • PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slider;
    Universal carbines and I have something of a checkered past. Some of them have been great little gins,,,, others were JUNK! Most of the ones I have had worked with GI mags. To my knowledge thier mags have remained the same through out the production of these rifles. Beware the one's with aluminum recievers. They stretch and crack. If this one is a milled steel reciever, it is probably ok.
    They can be somewhat picky about magizines however. K- mags have worked for me in the past. I still have a few Uni's, they all function flawlessly, and are as accurate as any other M-1 carbine.My advise is to test it out. If it functions well with the 5 round mag, the 15's may be worn or have bent feed lips. Also, stay with the round bolt version, Universal flat bolts never worked well.

Kill all the lawyers and the world will be much better for it.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most serious problem with many Uni's is that the poor design & construction will permit them to fire when the bolt is either not completely forward, or not completely locked. This can lead to pieces of steel embedded in your face.

Spend another $100 & buy a USGI carbine, even an import, that will be safe to fire. There's no point in letting your buddy practice his professional skills on YOU.

Neal
  • fourdeesfourdees Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slider;

The Universal M1 is a very good rifle. I have owned several over the years. All of mine used USGI mags, but I did encounter some problems with consistant reliability esp out of the 30 rounders. The best reliability came from the plastic four rounders that came with the gun as they positioned the rounds in-line instead of stagering. I used it for plinking (not as a defensive rifle) so relibility was not an issue...having fun was! BTW, I did have one that always shot a flyer (approx 10" left, 12" low) on the very first round out of a cold, clean, dry barrel. After that, it grouped very well...so I agree with Pythons advice to "Check it out!"

I have never owned an original GI M1, so I can't comment on their reliability. I do know most accessories fit, but internally, they are very different. I no longer own any Universal M1s, but I am looking for a GI one. I kept all my accessories (mags, pouches, scope mount, etc.)

The price sounds right if you look at the on-line auction sights so if it shoots good and you like it, go for it!

Where at in KY do you live?

Fourdees
  • keywestkeywest Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SEE NMYERS POST-READ NMYERS POST-BELEAVE NMYERS POST-UNIVERSAL M-1 CARBINES ARE GARBAGE!!!!

IT'S BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12,THAN CARRIED BY 6!
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'd sure like to see the story behind the "Universals are junk" urban legend.
    Maybe it's the faulty design of the M1 Carbine itself; since that's what those Universal receivers are. Sure, they're made by some evil gun company, bent on profit above all, but so were RG Industries, H&R, Grendel, and others. Most junk guns would have exploded all by themselves if some of these yarns are to be believed.
    What my whole point is about, is that Of Course there are cheaply made and poorly designed examples of the Gunmakers' Art out there, but to outright cover every Universal M1 with an unfounded cloak of banishment paints with too broad a brush.
    The ones I have owned (and shot with military ammo, exclusively), have been reliable, accurate enough with varmints, use military mags & strippers, and never gave me a lick of trouble. The one I have now, I got for only $220, and it feeds and functions even my 85gr short jacket and 123gr Rem PSP reloads.
    Just like there are referenced '03 serial number ranges and "soft"receivers, there mustbe some sort of listing of affected Universal Carbines which have embedded steel in someone's melon.
    Any takers?

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I'd sure like to see the story behind the "Universals are junk" urban legend.
    Maybe it's the faulty design of the M1 Carbine itself; since that's what those Universal receivers are. Sure, they're made by some evil gun company, bent on profit above all, but so were RG Industries, H&R, Grendel, and others. Most junk guns would have exploded all by themselves if some of these yarns are to be believed.
    What my whole point is about, is that Of Course there are cheaply made and poorly designed examples of the Gunmakers' Art out there, but to outright cover every Universal M1 with an unfounded cloak of banishment paints with too broad a brush.
    The ones I have owned (and shot with military ammo, exclusively), have been reliable, accurate enough with varmints, use military mags & strippers, and never gave me a lick of trouble. The one I have now, I got for only $220, and it feeds and functions even my 85gr short jacket and 123gr Rem PSP reloads.
    Just like there are referenced '03 serial number ranges and "soft"receivers, there mustbe some sort of listing of affected Universal Carbines which have embedded steel in someone's melon.
    Any takers?

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!

Universals are junk. They are not copies of GI rifles.

I have heard some early ones used all GI spec parts but every one I have encountered was a redesign. The dual recoil spring system (like springs out of ballpoit pens) sucks. Their receivers crack. And never mind the mag troubles...

And yes, I have owned them, I have repaired them, and I believe they are junk. I have never seen one that injured anyone but I wouldn't have one.