In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 03 A3 rear peep and current value?

firebawlpfirebawlp Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
I bought this rifle at an estate sale and was wondering, since someone put a lyman 57sme rear peep on, is all value lost? Its in otherwise EXCELLENT shape with barrel and action both dated from the same month of 43. Barrel has not been cut, in sporter stock, but still has correct original bottom metal. Thank You. Adam

Comments

• pecongapeconga Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, ALL value is not lost, just the rifle's value as a collectible military arm. It still has value as a knockaround sporter in a very popular caliber. Check the Completed Auctions for comparable rifles to get an idea of value (not the Open Auctions, since the market is flooded with sporterized surplus rifles that will remain perpetually unsold due to unrealistic starting or reserve prices.)

Cheers,
    Peconga in Boise, Idaho
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All is not lost a stock can be had here on this site may have to wait a little.I have a new 1943 barrel and a correct peep sight extra for them.tks hedge[:D]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, installation of a peep sight is done by d&t'ing the receiver; this mutilation keeps it from being restored to "collectible".

A sporter would sell in the $200-300 range, assuming the barrel is good.

Neal
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lymans are not terribly unusual or even really terribly "incorrect" (depending on model) for these rifles in my opinion, although original equipment is always original. Good quality sight as well on the Lyman only real trouble is the notch in the stock. Personally I do not consider an 03A3 with just the addition of a Lyman a "sporterized" rifle; it merely has a different rear sight, which can be swapped out
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    please delete double post admin
  • firebawlpfirebawlp Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input so far, but I have one more question. How did the original rear sight attach? Thanks again.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a raised part on the rear of the receiver that matches the dovetail in the bottom of the sight base. The sight base is pounded on with a drift & hammer. The rest of the parts are assembled on the sight base.

Neal