In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 11A Sportsman

MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have one of these in 16ga. According to the barrel code it was made in 1938. The barrel however does not have a serial number. Was this the way they were made?

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial number should be on the left side of the base of the barrel lug (magazine ring). To the best of my knowledge they are all numbered. At least all seven of mine are.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found it...THANKS! At first, it did not look like a serial #...but looking closer it was and it matched the gun! It's a nice 1938 model Sportsman 16ga 28" Modified with a solid rib...My new "HUNTING GUN"! :):)
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention previously. Your gun being of '38 vintage you should determine the actual chamber length. I'm not sure if the Remingtons had 2 9/16" chambers as the A5's do. Most like does have.
    Unlike the Browning firing a 2 3/4" cartridge in a Remington with a 2 9/16" chamber could batter the action and damage it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the mention of the chamber length. The barrel says 16Ga. but does not mention length! I have not fired the gun as yet...but I "assumed" it was 2 3/4"...???
    edited November -1
    Since it doesn't say it's for 2 3/4" or shorter, I would presume it to have a 2 9/16" chamber.
    Let me do a quick search for available ammo.

BP still carries Game Bore. It's a fiber wad load offered with #6 and #7 shot. It's made in England. Try a box of it before you commit to a full case. I've found no load recipes for the hulls.
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=418

Polywad also manufactures ammo. Their Vintager and Doublewide are both low pressure though and may not cycle an 11 even on the light load setting. They wouldn't work in my A5, but then I installed a new mag tube because of a dented tube. Might be the difference.
    http://www.polywad.com/

I know there are at least two others, but I can't recall who just now. I'll post again if I remember them.
    In the meantime you might check out this site. Their dedicated to keeping the 16 alive.
    http://www.16ga.com/forum/index.php
    edited November -1
    Asphalt Cowboy...Thanks for checking....After some further research I have learned that ALL Model 11's in 16Ga. were chambered for 2 3/4" shells. Upon my learning I went into the woods and fired both high and low brass...everything functioned fine! I am a HAPPY CAMPER!!! Thanks! :):)