In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WHAT IS A REAL GOOD LONG RANGE GUN FOR DEER?

MillerMiller Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a real good long range deer rifle. Something that holds a good group when you reach out there. A couple of guys say the 7mmultramag is all of that. Does it really out perform the old 7mm. I was just going with the 300win mag. But wanted to hear some opinions first.

Comments

• mr whitetailmr whitetail Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you consider long range? What is your experience and accuracy level at the range? Most rifles will shoot the distance but few shooters are up to it! If you are "hunting" and not performing executions at long range, most popular chamberings will shoot accurately to 300 to 350yds, after that gravity takes over and the bullet drops rapidly. Try 243win, 270win, just about anything in 7mm, 308win, 3006. Need more punch past 350yds try 270weatherby mag, any 7mm mag, or 30 cal mag. Remember magnums come with a noise and recoil penalty![This message has been edited by mr whitetail (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • TRIGGERSGHOSTTRIGGERSGHOST Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 BMG will work in a pinch.Dead Horse Walking
    Remember everybody looks good 5 minutes before the bar closes.
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trigger....what if he wants some meat left though???
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the 7mm rem mag and my partner has used the 300 win mag extensively on crop damage hunts. These hunts offer us shots we just will not take, due to the size of the farms. Our closes shots last year were 326 (lazer) yards. At that distance, either of the magnums will drop a whitetail in it's tracks. If you plan on shooting paper at long range (which would be ethical and practical for shooting animals @ distance) then go with one of these belted magnums in a heavy barrel version or with the BOSS system. These calibers are hard hitters much past that distance, but, remember, if you can't kill paper at 400+yds, then DON'T try to shoot deer at that distance. You will end up with wounded and lost game.
  • roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several to choose from to be sure...my favorites rifles are Remington Model 700's in .30-06 and in .264 Winchester Magnum...the .264 Win Mag will definitely reach out there and touch something...
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about a .338 Lapua Mag? or .35 Whelen?I believe a heavier bullet would be best.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    600 Nitro Express but you got to watch the elevation
  • aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your choice of the .300 Win Mag is a good one. I use a 30-06, a .308 Norma Mag and a .300 H & H Mag at different times. Since I reload all these calibers I can choose my bullet weight and velocity to match where I will be hunting. I wish I had bought a .300 Win Mag years ago. Still don't have one. I have a 7 mm Mag but I like the .30 calibers better.
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1