In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

91 Mosin Nagant Problem.

interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hey kids, I took my 91 Mosin shooting the other day for the first time and experienced this problem. I was shooting czech steel cased silver tip match ammo. Everything was fine until I would try to unlock the bolt to eject and cycle the cartridge. The bolt would only turn 5/8th's to 7/8th's of the way thus prohibiting me from throwing the bolt back to eject the cartridge. Only with a very decent blow was I able to turn the bolt all the way to be able to pull back and open the bolt. Mind you that the bolt functions smoothly when there is no cartridge being inserted or ejected from the chamber. The spent cases once extracted showed no case rupture, buldging or splitting. Whats the dang deally. All help appreciated.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.

Comments

• trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm assuming that the action (and bolt) on the Mosin-Nagant is the same as that of the Finnish Model M39....

Have you taken a good, hard look at the extractor claw to see if it's getting galled up? And have you looked carefully at the little notch inside the receiver which allows the claw to rotate as the bolt is closed? That notch may be galled up, or have some crud in it. If it takes a firm whack to get the bolt open, then that HAS to mean that metal is rubbing against metal SOMEWHERE, so there should be marks or abrasions on the bolt or in the chamber that would indicate the nature of the problem. Does this happen right from the start, or only after you've shot several times, and when the gun is hot? I had a Swede Mauser which would stick shut after a few shots, when the barrel and chamber got hot.

Sorry....This probably ain't much of a help....

Perhaps this is a claw-spacing issue, since the bolt rotates OK with no cartridge...
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Interstate- You probably need to thoroughly clean and/or polish the chamber of your rifle. The Nagant partially extracts the spent cartridge upon unlocking the bolt, so you are probably getting the lacquer-covered case stuck in the chamber. I got a lot of those LPS rounds but haven't had any get firmly stuck yet. Also make sure you clean the gun well afterwards, that ammo tarnished the bore of one of my M44's real quick.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem. Polish the chamber.

Bill
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks guy's!!

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was doing the same thing when it got heated up after 4-5 rounds. I'm no gunsmith but a lightly ground and polished the bolt where it locks in the receiver to give a little more room when she get's hot.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Bad move there Nitrouz, that increases the headspace. You want to polish the chamber area lightly to remove the little grooves left over from reaming that are "gripping" the lacquer after you fire the cartridge.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN