In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

silencer for 9 mm

badboy02badboy02 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know if u can put a silencer on a taurus PT 111 9 mm....it says millennium on the side....if so do u know where or how much?

Comments

• soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    You could if you could find one,but it would be illegal.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless there are state/local laws restricting suppressors, there's no reason why you can't buy one. I'm not familiar with accessories for the Taurus, but, in general, you need to replace the barrel of any auto pistol with a longer one that has threads on the end. You then go to your local Class III dealer, order & pay for the suppressor, & send your application with a check for $200 to BATFE.

Of course, I can't see much reason to do this. Your investment will be close to $1,000: The gun will still make a pretty loud noise, you won't be able to aim because the "can" will cover the sights, & there's a good chance that the action will function as a single shot only because of changes in the recoil pulse (you will then have to pay your local Class III repair shop to correct that problem).

Neal
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You would only need a longer threaded barrel and the can, BUT you would also have to use subsonic 9mm.
    Better to start out with a .380 that is already subsonic or close to.

Benefits: Smaller weapon that CAN be a blowback, standard ammo available anywhere, and terminal effects are the about the same.

Keep it legal.

You are your own best teacher. My advice is to question all things. Seek for answers, and when you find what seems to be an answer, question that too. L'Amour
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have thought about silencing a .380 or .32, but I haven't found one with a suitable barrel, or a source for longer barrels.

Any suggestions?
  • Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    FAC
    @763.780.8780
    has several options for extended/threaded barrels.
    That's where I get mine for Browning Hi-Powers.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Didn't Seagal silence a gun with a 2 litre soda bottle on some action flick?
  • james.setojames.seto Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, he sure did... LOL.

Here's a better questions... where's the best place to find a good/inexpensive suppressor? I have a HK USP and a MP5 PDW. I would love to find a 9mm suppressor for around $300. With the $200 tax stamp, it hits my budget of $500.

Any suggestions?

"When the going gets tough... the tough gets a bigger gun!"
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I have thought about silencing a .380 or .32, but I haven't found one with a suitable barrel, or a source for longer barrels.

Any suggestions?

Doug,
    I get flyers from the companies and thought either Tapco or Centerfire had them but when I checked, they didn't. Spring Creek is right about FAC. They have them for Beretta, Walther, etc. Stainless too.

You are your own best teacher. My advice is to question all things. Seek for answers, and when you find what seems to be an answer, question that too. L'Amour
    edited November -1
    James.seto,
    I hear where you're coming from BUT:
    good/inexpensive--when it comes to "suppressors" and many other items is indeed an "Oxy-Moron". Just does not happen.
    good: you can find
    inexpensive: you can find
    Good, which is a relative term would need to be defined a little better as to what you mean.
    As in 30+ decibel reduction, unless you find a used one (and that's possible). You're not going to find one for $300.00.
    What I recently bought and am satisfied with is:
    The Gem-Tech "Mossad" (33db rating) that I put on my UZI SMG ran $650 for suppressor, plus shipping, plus $200, plus $15 for "Passport" photos, (Plus charge for fingerprinting/if that would apply in your jurisdiction), plus mileage, plus your time to do all that's required (x $00.00per hr), plus the eeeeeeeeeeeeeendless waiting.
    NOTICE: lot of pluses here!.
    I'd run some want to buy ads and see what you can find.
    JUST REMEMBER: The $200 is the same whether you buy a Cheap suppressor or a "Good" suppressor.
    There's no "Refunds" for the "stamp" if you find you didn't get a
    suppressor you like.
    I bought a "relatively" inexpensive 22LR suppressor and now want to Upgrade-$200 again plus all the other requirements.
    Shop around and do some research.
    Big Boy Toys aren't Cheap!
  • rosewoodgangrosewoodgang Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personaly own four class three silencers. If you want a nine mm pistol that will cycle use a Beretta model 92 or Tarus model pt99. The Glocks model 17, 19, and 26 Ruger p85 and p89 wil not cycle unless a recoil regulator is used. This part will add $175.00 to you're toy plus more muzzle weight.

harvey leland jordan II
  • hunter223hunter223 Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can anyone get a silencer just by paying that tax or what paper work do i need to have?
    edited November -1
    P3SkyKing... Thanks for the lead on FAC - is their website FAC>com??
    edited November -1
    FAC.com is a brokerage house. Any idea what the address for the silencer comppany is?
    edited November -1
    FAC threaded barrels are cheaper when five or more are purchased at a time. The barrels are made in Korea. If one uses it on a suppressor have a machinist to check for trueness of threads. I had one barrel that was not true. This will destroy a suppresor in one shot.
    edited November -1
    Fac
    8035 Ranchers Road
    Fridley,MN 55432
    763-780-5747
    www.gunsnstuff.net
    They only have threaded barrels and fake silencers. I do not think they handle class two or class three iteams.

harvey leland jordan II
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsergovic, I got poofed a while back for bringing that up... Liability problems I guess, since we are such a sue-happy society.
    That was a good flick (Under Seige). I need to watch that again sometime, even if parts of it left me rolling my eyes.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    No matter "Where" the Barrel is made, it is only prudent to
    check for "Perfect" alignment of barrel/suppressor.
    Whether it's done by Korean humans or Korean machines there's always a "chance" that it may not be "Perfect".
    IS THIS NOT ALSO THE CHANCE, if it was done in the U.S., Japan, China or Taiwan?
    I sure hope this "made in other countries" THING, doesn't "Catch On".
    Damn, we could lose "American" jobs.