In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lefever Nitro Special

kidsgunkidsgun Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a lefever sxs double barrel. It is in moderate condition.
It has engravings on the frame of a duck flying in or out of water.
It has a bishop butt plate,it is stamped lefever arms ithica n.y. on one barrel and nitro special on the other. Serial number LL3815.
Serial numbers match. What is the value of this gun?

Comments

• kidsgunkidsgun Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the blue book lefever shot guns are realativly low priced through the most useable gauges but then you get to the .410 bore and prices triple. Are this prices realistic? 1000$+ for a .410, were there a scarce number of .410's?
    edited November -1
    Was looking at my grandpa's old lefever and had a question about the buttstock. His has a curved pistol grip but the only other one I've seen on the auction site had a straight grip. Which would be correct and is there anyway to find out how old this double barrel shotgun is? Also, I can't find any stamping on the barrels that tells the guage. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I would like to find information on my Lefever Nitro Special double barrel 12ga with 30" barrels. It looks and works great. Serial # 349169
    *What year was it manufactered?
    *What are the markings under the barrels +4 & 2+
    *What is it worth?
    edited November -1
    I acquired subject SXS in 410 at a local show this weekend. It has a nickel receiver, trigger guard and fore end metal. My initial thought was to have the nickel removed. Upon closer examination however, it appears that the nickel is original due to the stamping of the serial no. and gauge. The numbers are crisp and deep. QUESTION: Would the nickel finish have been factory on this little shotgun?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello kidsgun,

Yes, it is possible that nickel plating is original, but are you sure that it is not just washed out color case hardedning? On old Winchesters that were color case hardened, often times the colors fade completely away and leave behind a shiny surface that looks like nickel plating.

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert,
    Thank you for responding. I'm confident that it is nickeled because it is identical throughout the exposed surfaces and inside surfaces as well as on the inside of the fore end. I really don't like the plating (it looks out-of-place) and would have preferred it to be case hardened, but I don't wish to mess with a factory product. Are there records available?
    edited November -1
    Your shotgun was actually manufactured by Ithaca (after they bought out LeFever), and since Ithaca recently closed thier doors for good, I do not know what has become of their records department. Hopefully, they will turn the records over to someone like the Cody Firearms Museum.

Bert H.

• 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Morning kidsgun,
    I have sold and reviewed many Nitro Specials.
    Never saw one that was Ni plated. As Bert suggests the receiver
    may just have a worn finish. The trigger guard and forend metal
    are originally blued. Perhaps the Ni you are referring to is just
    finely polished steel? While anything is possible I believe the Ni
    not to be original. Being a .410 bore *it may* be worth the money to
    bring the gun up to spec. Good luck. 101
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the input. I'm quite confident that it is nickel plated and due to the crispness of the serial no. I find it hard to believe it is an aftermatket job. Having said that, it is truly ugly and I think I'd entertain the removal and case hardening of the metal. Any recommendations about people/shops to consider?
    Thanks, Bill
    PS//I'm located in the State of Washington
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidsgun
    I appreciate the input. I'm quite confident that it is nickel plated and due to the crispness of the serial no. I find it hard to believe it is an aftermatket job. Having said that, it is truly ugly and I think I'd entertain the removal and case hardening of the metal. Any recommendations about people/shops to consider?
    Thanks, Bill
    PS//I'm located in the State of Washington

Out of simple curiousity, where in Washington? I live in the Bremerton area.

Bert H.

edited November -1
    Hi Bert,
    I'm in Kennewick. Seldom do I get to your side. I haven't made a WAC show in two years. I'd enjoy meeting you as I've monitored your input on different sites and always admired your insight and straight-forward advice.
    Thank you for backing me up on Antique Arms concerning my 410's surfacing. What did you think about Ivan's idea about cold blue?
    Do you ever get this way?
    Bill <billrupp@hotmail.com>
    PS??Does your home location reflect any association with the USN?
    I'm retired USMC.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidsgun
    Hi Bert,
    I'm in Kennewick. Seldom do I get to your side. I haven't made a WAC show in two years. I'd enjoy meeting you as I've monitored your input on different sites and always admired your insight and straight-forward advice.
    Thank you for backing me up on Antique Arms concerning my 410's surfacing. What did you think about Ivan's idea about cold blue?
    Do you ever get this way?
    Bill <billrupp@hotmail.com>
    PS??Does your home location reflect any association with the USN?
    I'm retired USMC.

Bill,

First, I am not overly keen on the idea of putting a drop of cold blue on it, but if you have an inner surface that is normally hidden for view, you might try it there.

I have not been east of the Cascade Mountains since last December (when I went over to Kellog Idaho to take delivery of my new truck from Dave Smith Motors[^]).

Yes, my home location does reflect my association with the USN. I retired from the U.S. Navy Submarine Force in February of 2000 (at the Bangor Submarine base). I enlisted in the Navy January of 1979 from my home town Astoria, OR, so the Pacific Northwest has almost always been home to me. A very good friend of mine is also USMC retired (Terry Pate). I currently work for a large Defense Contractor as an Electronic Systems Engineer (L3 Communications) out of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. I am still highly involved with the U.S. Navy Trident Submarine (modernization) program.

Bert Hartman
    Win1885@msn.com

Bert H.