In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 60 problem

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
The very first gun I bought is having woes and I don't know how to help her! Help!

When shooting, perhaps one in ten rounds does not chamber. Rather, the bolt goes foward and crushes the cartridge in the feed ramp , right in the middle of the cartridge. This ruins the cartridge and jams the gun.

If I take the whole thing apart and thoroughly clean it, it helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem, and it is getting worse, suggesting to me some part is worn and wearing more. It first happened perhaps 1 round in a brick, now it is 1 in 10, soon I fear the gun won't work at all.

Someone suggested that the bolt cycling back and forth had worn the cartridge lifter. Someone else suggested a spring. What do you think?

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Have you tried different ammo? Sounds like the ammo might not be hot enough and is causing short-cycling. Also, if it is an older model like the one I got, the cartridge lifter *'y may be split, it is made from two castings bonded together, if the bond is broke the feeding gets crappy and tempermental. I took mine out, cleaned the mating surfaces and epoxied the halves together, no more problems. Clean the mag tube out too.

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
    th_23018.gifth_22987.jpgMWC '05
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have tried different ammo, yes. While some is more tempermental, 5 of 5 brands I tried do it. I'll look for a split in the lifter assembly.... any other thoughts?

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
    edited November -1
    Those two problems have been the two main issues I've seen on the Marlin 60's. Might check the breechface of the barrel, the chamber may have a little edge on it causing the rounds to not want to feed into the chamber quickly enough.

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
  • CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clean bolt face, check for burrs and extractor movement. Make sure the case rim can pop up under the extractor. If you have the old-style feedthroat, upgrade with new-style feedthroat conversion kit. Make sure the chamber mouth does not have any burrs.

Do about 10 of these each year.

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one that has the same problem and I have tried everything.If someone has a cure,let us know.
    edited November -1
    Follow the info listed here so far. Mine is about 40yrs old and was tempermental, after fixing a few things it runs perfect

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    How do I know if I have an old or new style feedthroat? I bought the gun used, in like new condition 7 years ago; I think that it was fairly new at the time, so under 10 years old.

• whiffelballwhiffelball Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the exact same problem. I was thinking of polishing the chamber and widening it a BIT, but I cant get to the barrel because of the action housing. I dont know what to do with this thing, it's sunk cost now.

<< Next time you find some dangerous game, try a 22LR. Trust me. >>
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 60 that has done this sort of thing from time to time. I find that 3 things make it happen:

1. Firing rapidly for extended bursts (ex. trying to empty all 17 rounds in a few seconds) gets it too hot. Once I slow it down a litte the rifle cycles flawlessly.

2. Being dirty. After shooting for awhile the action gets kind of dirty and it can start with the jamming. I usually just hold the bolt back and wipe it out with a handkerchief over my finger and it's good to go.

3. Too much oil. Keep that action dry. If you put a bunch of oil in it, things will kind of gum up and it will jam.

I love the Model 60. Mine is the most accuracte stock .22 I have ever seen and I hope to keep it forever.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Rifle is not clean. On the semi auto 22's, regardless of brand...they REALLY need to be cleaned extremely well...as in taken apart completely.

I have 3 model 60's that suffer the same plight every couple thousand rounds of dirty 22 ammo.