In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Caliber/gun choice for concealed carry

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure this question has been asked 1000 times, but I can't find what I am looking for by doing a search. After a recent uncomfortable situation my wife and I had while traveling, I have decided to get my concealed license and carry in my truck. My question is, what caliber/gun would you choose? My idea is to keep the gun in the console of my truck and only carry occasionally on my person. I would prefer to go with a semiauto over a revolver. I currently own a .357 mag with a 6 1/2" barrel, so it is too big to carry. I also plan to rent several guns and try them out before buying, so I am just looking for a starting place. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a Glock 26 or 27 or even a 19, small enough to conceal and carry on your person if you need to. Then again it depends on you & your pocket book. There are a lot of great guns out there for carry, you can look at the Keltec .32 & .380 also.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA BENEFACTOR-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am considering 2. (I am in the same boat as you) A .380 Walthers PPK Stainless, or a Springfield Armory micro or 4 inch 1911. I'll wait with you to see what others advise.

Sako Fan
  • eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm considering a S&W, I think the model is a 627. In any event, it's a .38 snubnose with an uber-light frame. Runs about $360.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Triple K makes a holster that makes a full size auto, (I carry a Browning Hi Power), very comfortable and concealable. Can't remember the model but its a flat belt holster,leather, middle of the back.
    The belt slots are straight with your waist but the holster "pouch" itself is at about a 45/50 degree angle. Since the barrel isn't pointing straight down the size of the gun is less important. Retention is by an adjustable screw.
  • tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kel Tec P3AT [6+1 .380], is 10.8 ounces loaded.
    http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at_pistol.htm

Kel-Tec P-11 [10+1 9MM], is 21.2 ounces loaded
    http://www.kel-tec.com/prod01.htm
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Hokkmike: I've recently been acquiring some
    excellent EG Makarovs in 9x18mm. I've been
    amazed how easy they are to carry and how
    accurate they are with the fixed barrel
    design. I used to prefer my PPK/s but not
    anymore!
    13.jpg

ape.jpg
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After carrying a HiPower, a P5, PP, PPK/S, and PPK, I would and have chosen a S&W 637 for a personal carry. This may be the small 2" lightweight 38+P snubbie that was referred to earlier. No safeties, no magazines, just point and pull the trigger.

Fewer moving parts means fewer possibilities for failure. In the event there is an AMMO failure, pull the trigger again and you have a fresh round under the hammer.

I can think of very few, if any, circumstances where a civilian would be in a position to require more than five shoots.

NRA Life Member
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry 45ACP. Other than that, I would not personally carry smaller than a 357 mag.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are comfortable with a revolver, a small snubby would be in order. Either a J frame Smith or the Ruger SP101. 38 +Ps in either. Makes no sense to learn a completely new gun type for situations where you need to depend upon habit patterns.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a firm believer in a .45. Lot's of good used firearms available in the caliber. Don't go nuts on a new one. Stay Safe . . . . . .
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastwood44mag
    I'm considering a S&W, I think the model is a 627. In any event, it's a .38 snubnose with an uber-light frame. Runs about $360.

Smith 637, weighs 15 ounces unloaded with the (included) boot grips (see below), and I love mine. You could probably do a bit better on the price if you shop around a bit here on Gunbroker.

This gun has multiple advantages including light weight, 100% reliability, and no safety to worry about.

.38+P round is ballistically comparable to a standard 9mm, which is pretty good for gun of this size, and better than a .380.

Only real disadvantage is 5-round capacity, but as a civilian the likelihood that you'll need more than 5 shots is pretty remote.

sw637.jpeg

Edit; many people like the hammerless version (Smith 642), that's an equally viable option. The advantages of the hammerless one are no snagging, and no chance of an accidental discharge from cocking it with the subsequent light trigger pull. Disadvantage, obviously, is that you don't get the benefit of a light trigger pull, if you want to try a careful aimed shot.

I'd say avoid the titanium version and the .357. Yes, they are a few ounces lighter, but they are much more expensive guns, and the recoil, noise, and blast with full-house .357s is virtually unbearable.
  • moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a KAHR P9 or Glock 26? Both are nice carry guns...

KahrvsGlock26.jpg

"Shoot Straight and Shoot often."
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recommend that you keep a gun in your truck. There are too many things that can go wrong, both logistically & legally. Plus, the gun will be subject to rust & theft.

If you feel the need for a gun, it should be carried on your person. For most folks, that means something relatively small & light. Belt holster, ankle holster, fanny pack, etc, there are quite a few choices.

Neal

"The #1 rule of gunfighting: Always bring a gun."