In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is a BB Gun big enough for deer?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I got this Daisy BB gun, it shoots 350fps .17cal. I plan on taking it deer hunting next season. What do you think the best ammo would be, pointed or flat nose pellets, or regular BB's.
Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee

Comments

• mmakeinmmakein Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Overkill. How about a paintball, blue for deer, pink for rabbit. [This message has been edited by mmakein (edited 02-28-2002).]
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regular bb's, Daisy Red Ryder with a quality 6-18x50 scope, aim for the dead center of the eye. Don't take any shot over 200 yards, though. :-)
  • legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be close to a full moon.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally like to use my plastic disc pistol. It is an all plastic frame and shoots up to 5 fps!!!!!! I usually use the butt of the gun to harvest my deer because the disc only stuns them. First I stun them with the disc, then I use the butt of the gun to pistol whip them.BT
  • the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got one of those "pre-ban" dart guns(circa 1977). i like to take off the suction cups from the yellow darts and hunt that way. i leave the cups on for taget practice on glass. usually i hunt ranges 5-10'. i find the gun a little underpowered as it takes about a thousand shots to down a deer- still, i prefer to hunt in the "old way", where shot placement and stalking skills are supreme.
  • PDF.44PDF.44 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a rubber band gun???
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well it was a hard decision between my Daisy BB gun and my Sling Shot, but now that I think about it I've got this Nerf gun that shoots this foam balls, it has an effective range of 20 feet and a maximum range of 30. I may use it for those really long range shots. I got to find a scope mount for it so I can put this Leupold 10x50 LE Scope on it, because I need some extra magnification at those really long distances.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    You guys got it easy using BB guns.I like a challenge. I use a spit ball with a pin through it and propel it through a drinking straw with my own hot air. You can dip the tip of the pin in poison if you like as it makes for a fast,clean kill.This is for real men only. You other guys can keep useing your fancy BB guns.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you man enough to kill a deer by throughing a small pebel at it? How about a charging hog?
  • seamusseamus Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For big, dangerous game, such as cape buffalo and bull elephants, I grab either my Daisy or my 375 H&H, which ever is the most handy. As for taking deer with a BB gun, I have no experience, but think the expansion of ammo may be too slow (too much penetration!).
  • KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a magnum slingshot with hollow point rocks out to about 90 yards, is possible!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Oh crap, this is one of the best posts of all time! My take: why would I want to do something like shoot a deer with a BB gun? That's just overkill! No siree bob, what I like to do is chew up a good wad of bubblegum and hacker it at the deer with all the force I can muster... slams right into their eye and blinds em. Then I hurry and hit em in the other eye, and while blinded I sneak up and strangle them with some wet spaghetti.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck with one of those ping pong ball guns. I attach razor blades to the balls and fill them with a very small quantity of nitro-glycerine. I don't want to destroy all the meat.
  • oldoneeyeoldoneeye Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone has their own favorite gun. I use two for deer hunting, glue gun and/or staple gun. Glue guns are my first choice for whitetails, unless it is two cold, and then your range falls way off due to non-pliability/congeal-ment issues with the fast hardening glue. Staple guns are good in all weather, especially those pointed staples. I carve a small barb in each of the prongs, and tie the entire staple to some 100 lb test fishing line before I fire. Hold on! Good way to harvest garfish as well.
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, when I was growing up we couldnt afford no gun. I had to dig a shallow hole in the deer trail then lie down in it and cover up with grass and weeds. When the deer came along I had to wait until he was right on top of me then jump up and gnaw him to death.Of course, that was before I had to sell my teeth to pay the tax man.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a good ghilly suit, then spread doe scent in an ever diminishing circles (spiral) around you with your back to a tree.When he's 3' away with his nose to the ground, rustle some celophane so his ear will face the noise and give you a clear unobstructed shot to the brain. Use at least 23 pumps on the Benjamin air pistol. Use an eyedropper to apply a drop of diesel oil to the base of the pellet. It will detonate from the force of the highly compressed air and give you an extra 200fps velocity; more than enough for a clean kill.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew when I read the post what the replies would be. Probably most will not agree, but I think the bb gun is way underpowdered for deer, even white tail, and it certainly does not have the range for mule deer. Sure, if you are in the east where you are shooting consistently at ranges under 2 meters, a bb gun will work, but why risk wounding game that you may not recover? I say the minimum is .375 H&H and .416 Rigby is even better, particularly for mule deer. Don't even get me started on elk, though I am sure someone encouraged by this newbie question will follow with "is my pea shooter large enough to take elk?"
  • Harleeman1030Harleeman1030 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am rolling on floor laughing my * off...Dam that was too fkn funny...Thanks guys i needed that we been working 18 to 19 hour days out here
    Please don't tell my mom i work in the oilfield..She thinks i play the piano in a bordello...
  • tilapiatilapia Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BB guns nothin' - my ex-wife could probably do one in with an unkind word and a harsh gaze...