In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

260 Rem.

Smokepoles2Smokepoles2 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have information on this caliber, as in history & reloading data? Havent been able to find it listed in any of the manuals that I have seen locally yet. TIAJohn

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is written up in Cartridges of the World, the 9th ed. and has been written up in several magazines. It was first developed by B Square and called the .264-08 and later Remington with a bigger name came out with it as the .260 Rem. It is a .308 necked down to 6.5 (same as .264). Factory loads are not as hot as handloading can make it, but it is a little hotter than the 6.5x55 Swede.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    This was a wildcat made by Jim Carmichael years ago. It is the 308 Winchester necked down to .264. Almost a ballistic twin of the 6.5X55 Swede, but will fit in a short action. Remington decided to make it a factory round. I have the Mod. 700 BDL-DBM in a SS/S 24" version. Can get 3200 FPS with a Nosler 100 grain Ballistis Tip and 3100 FPS with a 120 Barnes X bullet. Good wolf and caribou cartridge.
    AlleninAlaska
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aglore is that hand loads? Pretty decent if factory loads.
  • talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As aglore says, it's been around for years. It's also called the ".263 Express". I have a 6.5mm Jap that was rechambered for it soon after the .308 Winchester cartridge was developed. A real simple conversion. Shoots nice, but I've never tried hyper-velocity in it, thou that jap action is a VERY strong one.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Yes He Dog those are handloads. Using RL15 for the 100 grain Nosler and RL19 for the 120 Barnes.
    AlleninAlaska