In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opinions on Para Ordnance LDA's........

Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anyone shot one/own one? What's the trigger pull like? Overall, is the gun worth the $$$$$$$$$? Any info is appreciated.BT

Comments

• elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a para-ordnance LDA 7.45 at the first of the year for $500. I've shot it a few times and not fully enthusiastic about it. It works every time but there are some draw back I would address. First, the gun came with (3) 7 round magazines. Only one is good enough to "really" use. The other are super cheap and don't lock the slide open on a empty mag. So, I'll get to buy some Chip McCormick's or some Wilson's. I'd also like to change out the thumb safety to something a little bigger, along with the slide release. The second issue is the fact the first and second time at the range the gun would jam every so often. This I'm sure is mainly do to the cheap mags and the cheap ammunition I was using. I've heard that a lot of Para owners experience this the first few times out.But for the trigger action... it is very smooth and breaks nice. Over all the gun shoots goods. I'll probably end up keeping this gun forever. Its an interesting variant to the 1911, that double action is what sold me on it, when I bought mine.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the LDA came out, I bought one because I liked the ideal of a double action M1911-style pistol that held 14 rounds of .45. The trigger takes a little getting used to, but it is great after you do. It is very light and crisp.I am a bit surprised to see the single stacks gaining popularity because the high magazine capacity is a large part of the Para appeal to me. I wish Para would put an alloy frame on the new stainless Super Compact Para Carry - C6.45LDA. That would really trip my trigger. Why is it that Para does not understand the value of light weight for carry pistols? Every model they have should be offered with an alloy frame. I am surprised to see the post about bad magazines with the single stack. Were these Para factory magazines? If so, send them back. The double stack Para magazines are very high quality and totally reliable for me. I cannot believe Para is supplying junk magazines with the single stacks.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    About the only place Judge Colt and I disagree is on the issue of weight. It is a big issue for him, and he and I have had several discussions on pro's and con's of guns where weight came into play. I like steel guns, reguardless of weight. A very heavy gun is not an issue to me. I wish they made all of their guns on steel frames.The full size Para-Ordance I have (model LDA 7.45) is a wonderful gun. Like Judge Colt said, it takes a few boxes of ammo to get used to the action, but once you do, most people like it. I will soon purchase a LDA 14.45 for the same reason Judge Colt offered, the massive capacity in my favorite cartridge, .45 ACP.The trigger is unique, though it's not true double action. In true double action, the double action cocks the mainspring as you pull the trigger. That is where the excessive "pull" comes from. The Para actually precocks the main spring as the slide is "racked" and the bullet is chambered. It then lets the hammer lightly fall back against the back of the slide and blocks the firing pin to prevent accidental discharge. Since you don't have to cock the mainspring with the trigger, the pull is very light until the hammer reaches the firing position. Then, there is (at least on mine) a clean and crisp 4 or 4 1/2 pound pull to fire the gun.I love the style and action, but you should rent and fire one before you commit to the money. As I said, I will be purchasing the LDA 14.45 in the next few months. That's how happy I am with the one I own.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I acquired one of the double stack, double action, .45 ACP models a little over 2 years ago. I carried it in connection with my work as the "cocked and locked" carry of the 1911 makes some folks nervous who fancy themselves knowledgeable. I really liked the smooth double action trigger, which I would compare favorably to a tuned S&W revolver. Accuracy and reliability were excellent. Couldn't figure out why they have retained the thumb safety, since you can't carry it cocked and locked; and if you put the safety in the "on safe" position it slows putting the pistol into action. Eventually I returned to the 1911, actually a 1991A1 Series 80. Just didn't feel comfortable with the hammer down, safety on; as opposed to the hammer back, safety on. Old dogs, new tricks, etc. Those knowledgeable folks will just have to feel nervous. I kept the pistol, though--and have no plans to sell it.
  • 1astrsk1astrsk Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LATE BUT ANYWAY, REF YOUR MAG PROBLEMS, IN SINGLE STACK MAGS THE WEAK MAG SPRING WILL NOT RESPOND QUICK ENOUGH FOR SLIDE LOCK OR RELIABLE FEED. YOU CAN GET 5 OR 10% SPRINGS AT WOLFF SPRINGS(ON LINE). I USE LES BEAR 8 RD MAGS AND WORK WELL EVEN WHEN I GO TO A 18.5 RECOIL SPRING FOR RELIABLITY.
    SAME FOR MY P14 STAINLESS 45 CARRY PIECE, DONT MIND THE WEIGHT, INFACT YOU KNOW ITS THERE AND YOU WILL GET USED TO IT. REF DOUBLE STACK MAGS FOR SERIOUS CARRY, I HAD THEM NP3 PLATED(ROBAR) AND INSTALLED WOLFF 10% SPRINGS. NEVER A FEED PROBLEM. NICKLE CASES IS A PLUS AS WELL FOR RELIABLE FEEDING. ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR A PISTOL TO BE BROKEN IN TAKES GOOD BALL AMMO (FEDERAL, REM, EXC) 300-500 RDS. THIS WILL TELL YOU A LOT ABOUT YOUR PISTOL AND ITS RELIABILTY.
    CHEERS FLOYD

Edited by - 1ASTRSK on 04/14/2002 17:30:53