In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hevi shot choke tube?

East BayEast Bay Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I was thinking of using Hevi shot for turkey this spring. I have a Remington 870 Extra Full (Lead Only) choke tube & wondered if the Hevi shot would ruin it. Any experience out there?

Comments

• Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is Hevi shot? Its not lead? Whats it made of?
  • East BayEast Bay Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hans, the marketing stuff says it is a combination of metals denser than lead (I forget which ones) so I worried about the damage to the tube. So I thought I would ask here.....
  • Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be this is a really new product? I've heard of manufacturers using Bismuth and that is safe through regular tubes. But I'm not sure about Hevi shot, Sorry.
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.hevishot.com The Word on Chokes It is almost turkey season! We can't wait, and apparently lots of other folks can't wait either. Our buddy Dave Weimer called from Georgia to let us know that the right choke tube is a hot topic in the various chat rooms at the moment.Here is the straight scoop:We recommend that you stick with chokes rated for steel shot for any waterfowl hunting. This pretty much means skeet, improved cylinder (for shots over decoys), and modified chokes ( for pass shooting) when it comes to waterfowl. Anyway, you can "overchoke" HEVI-ShotT pellets, and actually degrade your pattern.Turkey chokes are more complicated because our turkey loads, and Remington's turkey loads, are fully buffered and a bit slower than waterfowl loads. We still recommend shooting only a choke rated for modern steel shot. It just so happens that Remington makes a beauty, in their HEVI-ShotT choke tube (information at 800.243.9700).However, lots of guys have shot HEVI-ShotT shells through full turkey chokes, all the way down to 0.643 in 12-gauge (Randy Lewis of Tennessee). In our very limited samples, we didn't see ring bulge or barrel wear, but we have seen lead-only chokes peened out of shotguns. So, we don't recommend anything other than steel-rated chokes, and we disclaim any responsibility for anything that happens if you don't follow that recommendation.But finally, the best advice may be to pattern your gun with a few different choke tubes before you go after that gobbler. What can you get, and what do you think you need? You may well find that just about every pellet you shoot goes into a 10-inch circle at 40-yards with HEVI-ShotT shells and chokes - and that ought to get you your bird in the field.Hope This helps!!!
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • East BayEast Bay Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks! Just what the Doctor ordered!
  • Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Interesting article on HeVi shot in this months Guns and Ammo. According to the article, hevi shot from a mod. choke will pattern like steel from a full or extra-full.Haven't tried any but it is now marketed by Remington.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Remington has a choke made specificaly for Hevi-Shot as they are now loading and selling it. Made from Tungsten, nickel and iron.
    AlleninAlaska