In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Importing Gun for Personal Use

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited March 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'll be off to Europe in the summer and know I'll have an opportunity to pick up one or more guns from Hungary and/or Germany. What do I need to do to have them imported into the US. Any and all advice appreciated.

Comments

• talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a Treasury/customs form you have to fill out to get approval to import. As it asks for serial numbers and other details it has to be completed after you purchase. It's best to have the firearm shipped after you get approval on the form. NO MILITARY STUFF as at the minimum you'll be jumping thru hoops for a year. I'm sure the ATF site has "importation rules" you can look at.
    edited November -1
    Oh, Yes... If you are military on TDY/PCS there are special rules that apply.
    edited November -1
    Just saw the admin guidance on another board: go to www.gunbroker.com/user/importexport.asp for further info. Keep in mind that you will be making the purchace face to face, but will probably need to have them shipped to your neighborhood FFL. I have done this once in the past, and it took about a month to get the Treasury form approved. No FFL was needed as I went back to where I bought it, and carried the arm back to the States.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you need someone to help with this try contacting: Collectors Firearms Simpson's LTD at 309-342-5800their web site is: www.simpsonltd.com
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all your help, guys. You really are experts!!
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strange nobody mentioned getting the gun OUT of the country where you buy it. But - that's not what you asked. Some countries make it difficult to get export permits. Also, check out if US customs will let you bring one in. I once had a problem entering NY JFK requiring FFL to import.