In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chinese SKS Value?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in Ask the Experts
Want to find out what would be a relative value of a Chinese SKS with a synthetic pistol grip folding stock and two hi-cap detachable mags, all in very good condition. This SKS caught my eye at the gun shop but know little about them - asking $300. Also, would a Ruger Mini-30 be a better choice or have any advantages over the SKS. Will be used for plinking, home defense, etc., and keeping my other guns company. Any info greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SKS is overpriced. You can buy an unfired version, from one of the better manufacturers, for about $149.00 in centerfire systems, the stock is about $40 and the clips are $25 each. These come with the bayonettes as well. I would pass or haggle down to $250 at the very most. I would shoot for $200 but he probably won't go for that. How much is the mini-14? If the price is right, I would have to take that one over the SKS. Just my .02
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUSTC, where can you buy a unfired Chinese SKS for $149.00 ? I want one and I'm a dealer.
    ATF[This message has been edited by ATF (edited 02-28-2002).]
    edited November -1
    I WANT ONE .
    ATF
  • just-shootjust-shoot Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    About 6 mo back, local gun shop in Scottsdale, AZ had new Chinese SKS's for $169. The stocks looked like hand painted crap and the barrel & action were fill with that shipping goop. I haven't seen them hangin in his shop for sometime now. He still carries the SAR 1 for $329. I'll give him a call tomarrow, see if he still has access to them and post the answer. [This message has been edited by just-shoot (edited 03-07-2002).]
    edited November -1
    ATF, I was busy last night and didn't check the boards, sorry. I may have misquoted but I am pretty sure that the centerfire systems catalog has unfired SKS's for dirt cheap. They have been carrying them for better than 10yrs or so. I got a russian from them a few years back, unissued, in cosmoline, etc for $99. I will check tonight and post the origins and prices for the one advertised. I will apologize in advance if they are from some other country, the catalog changes every month or so. Incidently, they have wolf ammo for $74/cs 7.62x39. I do know they have multiple listings at the moment so I will check and post what I find.
    edited November -1
    Thanks,JUSTC.
    ATF
    edited November -1
    ATF, sorry my friend, I misquoted. the ones in the catalog right now are yugo's for $135 in NRA good shape wiht the grenade launcher. The new ones are $250 with the launcher and bayonet. NRA excellent.old catalog had romanians for $149 with blue somewhat faded. All milled parts and threaded barrels.They do have the dragunov for $849 and milled AK receivers for $199. I did not realize how much inventory they have sold in the past few months. They usually have 3-4 types of new SKS and AK variants for dirt cheap. But, they always get more somehow.centerfire systems 1-800-950-1231, it's a good mailing list to be on.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info and advice.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.