In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FEG PA63 9mm mak jams

gunsdensgunsdens Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a FEG PA 63, thought it was nice looking good feeling inexpensive pistol. First thing I did was field strip it and clean it. I did not like the condition of the recoil spring. When I fire it, it jams almost everytime and does so with each of the 2 magazines. I ordered a new wolfe 15# recoil spring and waiting for it to come in. SHOULD this replacing of the recoil spring solve the problem?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having a trashed recoil spring in a alloy frame pistol like the FEG, isn't a good sign. The 9mm Makarov, is a fairly potent cartridge. Even when firing in steel frame Maks, you can feel it.

Try a different brand of ammo, if the Wolff spring still doesn't solve your problem. If that doesn't work, closely inspect the frame for battering or deformation. Get rid of it, if you can't fix it yourself. It's not worth paying a gunsmith to try and fix it,if the frame is battered and warped.

When the Hungarians first designed/produced the various FEG's they were based on the Walther PP, and chambered for the .32 Auto cartridge. I believe with the much more powerful 9mm Mak cartridge, their lifespan is limited.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Yeah the Feg is a kicker! I have one that bruises the web of my shooting hand. Most of these recoil spring issues can be identified when they are on their way out. They start kicking brass further and further. I replace all my recoil type gun springs around 1k rounds to limit the risk of frame battering. My only complaint on the gun is the horrible DA trigger pull which is the only thing I had someone work on. Other than that they are nice little carry guns. If you cant fix it I recommend a Bersa as a replacement.
  • magicmanml2magicmanml2 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are these FEG pistols the 32ACP and 9mm mak C&R eligable
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are shooting 9x18 ammo right?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by magicmanml2
    are these FEG pistols the 32ACP and 9mm mak C&R eligable

Unless they are specifically on the BATF list, No. Age wise they date to the 60's - 70's, time frame. Which would prevent them from automatically ( no pun intended ) being C & R's, because of the 50 year DOM, clause.
  • sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We found that silver bear ammo would not function well in the pa-63's if that is what you are using,
    try wolf or another brand, good luck....