In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Use of 124GR +P+ in a KelTec P11 9mm

gunsdensgunsdens Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I bought a new KelTec P11 9mm for my wife. I still have a full box of Federal Premium 9mm Luger 124GR Hydra-Shok JHP +P+ Law Enforcement Only ammo. I'm not very familiar with KelTec quality but have been assured it is good as is their renowned warranty. I know there have been no issues using +P but am wondering if the KelTec is up to safely firing +P+ ammo???? I would not want to overpressure the lil thing unless it is capable of handling it. I do like the added punch to 9mm ammo and prefer it. Thanks

Comments

• gunsdensgunsdens Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I was just informed that +P+ is only +P so if this is correct I'm OK with using it as carry ammo. I would of course not use +P for range shooting or all time shooting as this would shorten the life of the recoil springs to say the least.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +p+ is hotter. Most pistols arent rated for it. I carry it in my glock, but would not unless reccomended by the maker, and I wouldnt on a kel tec
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Rule #1 for a firearm, most especially one that may be used for self defense. It must go bang each and every time you pull the trigger. If not, it's history. Had a P11 and it did not always fire, it was at Keltec twice, they couldn't fix it so I fixed it by giving it away to someone who would not use it for self defense, they wanted a small pistol to plink with. Why a P11 I don't know, but he wanted it.

Draw your own conclusions as to the suitablity and/or reliablity of a P11. Hopefully yours works better.

Having said that, I would not fire +P in a P11. It might stand up to the pounding but I can tell you it will be uncomfortable to shoot. To the point it may cause a flinch. If it were me, I'd think that 115gr hollow points would probably be a good round for that pistol.
  • helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also had a P11. Never jammed or failed to fire, but the trigger pull was inconsistent and the recoil was sharp. Tended to strike the middle finger of my hand on recoil. May be to much for a lady even with standard loads.[?]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +P+ is not +p. It IS a hotter load. Would not reccomend.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The P11 needs some spring clipping to reliably fire hard primers.
    KTOG takes you through the procedure.
    Trigger pull can be improved a little from stock.
    My P11 shoots +P+ Hirtenberger 124 grain bullets at 1182fps. Primers are hard and recoil is serious. You wont want to shoot many.
    With the 357SIG conversion unit in place, velocity goes up to 1290fps
    and recoil is SEVERE.
    Spend some time on the KTOG website for insight and recommendations for this pistol.