In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting jacket, vest, or shirt for my kid

bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
Took my 12 year old daughter shooting Sunday. Had her shoot the .22 for a while (she's shot before) and then tried the new .243 we got for her for her first deer season. She did not like it!!! Too much recoil for her. She didn't cry, but wouldn't try again. She's a skinny kid, so I was wondering if anyone had some info on where I might get a padded jacket, vest, or shirt for her.
Tanks.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence onto those who would do us harm." -George Orwell

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    She's a skinny 12 Y.O., and you may have pounded the gun out of the girl. Use a sandbag. That's why they call 'em sissy bags; 'cuz you'll cry like a 12 Y.O. girl if you don't!
    Also, get on line with Midwayusa.com and order her a small Herean shield recoil pad from PAST.
    Then start her back on the .22, work her up to a .410, maybe a 357 carbine, but let her decide if she wants to shoot anymore at the end of the warm-ups. No sense in making it hurt to have fun.

"It shouldn't hurt to be a kid; unless you're caught disassembling Daddy's guns and putting all the pieces in the toilet!"-K Cobain
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me know what size she is. I have some old shooting jackets in storage (youth size). I gave most of them away but I still have a couple left. If your interested and I have the size you need, I will send you one. They been in storage so it will need to be dry cleaned.
  • Options
    bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    martzkj,
    you have mail. tanks.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence onto those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using one of the cheap knee pads you get at Home Depot or Lowes. These are just black foam with a elastic strap with velcro. I originally was using it to protect my right elbow from the rough bench but then realized I could slide it up to my shoulder when shooting my No4 Brit with the brass butt plate.

Also buy some ammo with the lightest bullets you can get for the .243. Use these for target shooting and the 100 grs for hunting.

mag