In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M48 Yugo worth calibre change

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
In your collective expert opinions, is an M48 Yugo a worthwhile platform for 'improvement' or a calber change ?
(Yes, I know it is just fine as is...but that is not the question)

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with the action. Stock scan be a little harder to find. pretty much everything else works. Probably the best choice mauser for a 308 based cartidge due to the shorter magazine and bolt throw.

• ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the 1924 Yugo, but the commie made 48 is just fine. I believe that they were all made in the same plant that made the Mark X and now the Charles Daley Mausers. It is the intermediate length action and as has been said is a good choice for the shorter cartridges. I used a 1903 Turk intemediate length to build a custom hunting rifle in 6.5x284, it turned out great. Boyd's makes stocks for the 1948 Yugo in several patterns as does Richards microfit. I'd probably stay away from the new short magnums, but anything with a standard bolt face would work fine in that action. Say 22-250 up thru 358win.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can do all the work yourself, it could be a fun project. But, if you are going to have to pay someone to do the work....it probably won't be worth the money.

Neal
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotsolefrom,

It'll work well for any satndard head case (.473) and great for any of those that are Mauser based cases.

Mike,

Since you work on guns,what is your issue with the M48? Is there a particularly difficult thing to do with these that makes them hard to change over? I know that one of the things gotstolefrom may come across is non-matching bolt-receiver. You then have a hard time mating lugs and truing the action.

EDITED:

gotstolefrom,

One of the things that some people don't like is ruining a good historic piece.
    Another issue with the M48 is that the sights are soldered on. You will need to leave the old sights on or change the barrel for it to come out looking good. However, you would probably be buying a new barrel no matter what. Most custom guns get a new stock also, and most custom guns get a new trigger, and most custom guns require a couple(if not more) hundred bucks worth of tinkering work to fine tune them. In other words most custom guns ain't cheap and they ain't inexpensive either. I think it is well worth your while to get one made in this rifle.
    One other thing you won't get a lot of and that is, somewhat hard to find calibers. Any Mauser action can pretty much be rebarreled in .257 Roberts, and made into fine custom rifle. Try going to the local hardware/sporting goods/outdoor store and buying a .257 Rbts. While Ruger makes them, hardly anyplace I have seen stocks them for very long. If they get a few in they're gone and the store won't order anymore without you plunking down money and hoping the backorder line isn't too long. Or, wait until next years production.
    That is why I like the idea of customizing old Mauser rifles(that aren't in pristine condition) to a caliber and stock that I like.
    Again, the M48 is as strong as any other Mauser out there.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally would not go that route again. I tried it in the past and have found that the money spent on changing barrels and stocks and bolt bending and safety chages for scopes, etc. are not worth the money. The best way to start a "custom" rifle is with a modern action(Charles Daly 98, Remington 700, Ruger 77, Winchester 70, etc.). They are stronger and have the refinements already in place. If you are an accomplished machinest and have the laths and other equipment and time on your hands--ignor this-it can be fun.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto what Pinhead said...........unless it's just one of those "because I want one projects"..........[8D]
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    As long as it isn't a project that you believe you will get a head on the money side of things. You could buy a new savage much cheaper. I do it to pass time, get away from the wife to the basement, and build guns in wildcat and obsolete calibers.

• gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS
    Good and varied advice.

I may go with this...just because I 'want to'. I am not expecting much, but have never built a gun to this extent. Of the tooling I don't have, I have access to. My main plan is to keep it as simple as possible.

Your posts have left me with the feeling that I MIGHT come out with a fair piece...but I MIGHT end up with nothing but the experience.
    Either one is fine.

THANKS AGAIN