In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what gun should be in everyone's collection?

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
This may have been done before but i could not find it doing a search. What guns, in your opinion, should definitely be in everyone's gun collection?

Comments

• Fourth HorsemanFourth Horseman Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good pump shotgun, a good bolt rifle, and a good revolver for sure. Then maybe a good auto-loading pistol and a good auto-loading rifle. And a few more revolvers and a couple more shotguns and few more rifles...[;)]

The only real guns are wheel guns!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goldeneagle,

I can't really go by brand so much as by caliber in a brand that works well. My choices would be .308 or 30-06 for rifle, .223 for light rifle, and a .45 ACP or .40 S&W for a pistol.

The 30-06 can take anything on the North American continent, .308 just needs a little closer. The .223 is an all around varmint rifle capable of taking a deer if need be(although it isn't legal in some states), and the .45 or .40 work great as defensive weapons, which is what a pistol is supposed to be. The caliber choices I have given are very popular and you can find them anywhere. You can also find plentiful supplies of military or LE surplus. -good luck

Edited: I plumb,dumb forgot to add a 12 guage shotgun in a good working model. You will need it to bring in the birds, defend the home and ammo is plentiful.
    We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least one pre 64 Winchester .22 of your choice and whatever else makes you smile.[:D]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd recommend:
    An older .22 single shot. Like the Winchester M67 or Remington 510.
    A .22 caliber pistol. S&W M18 or 17, H&R 999,Ruger auto or revolver.
    A 30/30. Either a Winchester or Marlin lever action.
    A 30-06. Maybe a Winchester M-70 or Remington 700, or Springfield 03.
    A 12 guage auto. Could be a Browning A-5 or Remington 1100.
    A quality 20 guage double S/S. Brownings,Berettas, Ithacas are all good.
    Also a .44 magnum revolver. I like S&W M29's, Ruger Super Blackhawks, Anacondas, and Llama Super Commanches made 20-25 years ago.
    A S&W "J" frame snub in .38caliber or a Colt Detective Special.
    Finally a Colt .45 auto.
    That's nine guns. Round it out with a .22-250 single shot. A Browning
    or a Ruger No.1.

If I could only have one gun it would be the 12 guage. If only two I'd add a .22 rifle, and if three, I'd get a 30-06.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Everyone needs a model 60 Marlin for general fun and plinking! Not a fancy or expensive rifle by any means, but everyone should have at least one!!
  • jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Second on the Garand. Also a Mauser of some sort, preferably German.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    US Rifle Cal 30 M1
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    general discussion topic.....
    this is not a technical question.[B)]
    youll get more responses in the gen discuss room and it wont be locked at 10 either.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Are we talking "gun collection" like a real gun collection on a theme or just what weapons you should own to stave off Armageddon or shoot the neighbors cat?

wings2.gif