In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DA trigger pull

bwabwa Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know of a lubricant that would lighten or at least smooth out the DA trigger pull on a large revolver(Smith 29)? Any other way to do it without heading to the gunsmith?

Comments

• ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used spring kits over the years in many S&W revolvers. It consists of replacing the flat mainspring (K,L,N frames) and the coiled trigger return spring. It is easily enough to do; but I could not explain it in words. The end result is a lighter and smoother DA pull and a lighter SA pull.
  • bwabwa Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks ref44. Where could I find such a kit, and do they alter the striking force of the hammer/firing pin?
    edited November -1
    The last ones I bought were by Lee's Red Ramps Co. I will have to look awhile to get more information.To lighten the DA trigger pull by installing a spring with less tension, yes, it is going to result in a lighter strike by the hammer. But you have the strain adjustment screw in the lower front of the grip by which you can adjust the tension just past the point where you get reliable ignition.My experience has been that the spring kits vary somewhat; some give better results than others. But I never had one that did not improve the action. One kit gives two trigger return springs...one called "Target" and the other "Police".Some people just clip coils off the trigger return spring and use a Dremel tool to take metal off the mainspring; but I was never able to get the improvement this way as I could by replacing the springs.
    edited November -1
    bwa:Here it is:Lee Baker#4 Kristine LaneSilver City, NM 88061The same kit fits a K-,L-, or N-frame gun.