In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger GP 100 vs. Smith & Wess 686

Dave GDave G Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am currently considering a .357, stainless in a 6" barrel. Which of the aforementioned revolvers is better? By better I mean more accurate, well made, etc. What are the opinions?Also, what is the status of S&W as it relates to the 2nd Amendment? I am an NRA member and certainly do not want to support them if some actions they take for whatever reason will undermine my 2nd Amemdment rights.Thanks to all those responding.

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used Smith is what you need.Better and more accurate.You won't be supporting Smith if you buy used.They are still traitors.cpermd
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The Ruger is just about indestructable. The S&W is smother. The Python is King. My two cents.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boycott Smith they are traitors. GP 100 is a fine gun you cant go wrong for the price.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith & wesson sold us out when they were owned by the Redcoats. The new owners have not taken any efforts to undo that damage.I hope everyone that goes to the NRA Annual meeting in Reno takes the time to grill them about this.
  • Harleeman1030Harleeman1030 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every hand gun i own is RUGER .22 ...357...9mm...Great i would not trade em for nothing....I am not an exspert just a owner
  • Harleeman1030Harleeman1030 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOPS my 357 is the gp100
  • ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best Ruger revolver trigger ever made falls far short of the worst S&W revolver trigger ever produced. That is what is known as FACT.
  • bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had both S&W and Ruger revolvers. Both are fine guns--both are usually more capable than the guy holding them. My experience has been that both have acceptable trigger pulls. But if I had to choose one over the other, I would choose S&W. They seem to have a little more class about them. And they will definently be better trade material if you ever decide to trade for something different.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personaly have a gp 100 4" blued and love it, it was my first handgun. I have some friends that have smiths and they like them,I do not like the hammer/firing pin I know it is probaly very reliable,but I just do not like it.Just my opinionRich
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    686 all the way!! GP100 is nice and I like Ruger, but you can't put the GP100 in the same class as the 686 in my opinion. The 686 is simply built better, smoother, more accurate and will hold it's value more. It was the first real gun I ever shot 10 years ago and still the best gun I ever shot. GD
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    I own both, and loveboth but prefere the smith it alot smoother and fits my hand better, don't much care for the co. rep right now!
    The Buck Stops Here...
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave G : I have both the Ruger and S&W. Unless you are splitting hairs it comes down to the difference between a Farmall and a John Deere and what fits you and suits your needs best. For me, I don't notice any difference in accuracy although my S&W revolvers are smoother on the trigger. I had aquired all my Smiths prior to the sell out.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have carried a handgun nearly every day for the past 28 years and would consider nothing other than the S&W for personal protection. The Ruger's are fine, durable, heavy firearms with less than desirable triggers. It is a matter of personal choice and which one feels better to you; try both before making a decision.