In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus PT92 Mag ID

boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Trying to confirm a magazine I have is a Taurus PT92 factory magazine. It is marked CAL. 9 PARA MADE IN BRAZIL on the side, has a blued body, aluminum follower, but a flat nickel base plate, not the extended finger rest type base plate I've seen on many of them and as is typical on the Beretta 92. Did Taurus make some blued mags with flat nickel base plates for their nickeled guns?

Comments

• Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is a factory magazine. I have one exactly as you described it! I got it sometime back around 1992 or so when I had a dealer order it for me. Also, my buddie bought a nickel plated PT92 not long after that and it came with the same type of mag.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the fast reply GreenLantern, I do appreciate it. The flat nickel floor plate was really throwing me off. I did some auction searches trying to find a factory mag, or a gun with a factory mag that looked like this without any luck. They all had the extended black base plate. I was sure the body was a factory body but didn't know if someone had changed the base plate out. Your assistance is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I was a little surprised too but when I saw it it made sense. It was no doubt cheaper and easier for Taurus to use the a single, existing body for mags changing only the base plate. And after all, when you've got the mag in the gun, you can't see anything other the the plate.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the earlier factory Taurus mags were all nickel for the nickel guns and some were all chromed for the stainless guns. They later went to what you are describing, just a nickeled bottom plate. It was much less involved. With less surface area, it took them less time, and there was less chance of chipping or flaking of the finish. They figured the rest of the mag couldn't be seen while in the gun anyway. You will occasionally find the all nickel or polished finsh mags out there, but they go back to the late 1980's.