In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recommend .22 Target Rifle / Pistol

Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'd like to see how accurate I can be with a rifle and a pistol in .22LR or similar caliber ammo that I can buy almost everywhere and not worry too much about the cost. The rifle will be at 50 to 100 yds, the pistol at 25 to 50. I'm OK with a single-shot bolt rifle if that's the recommendation. The idea is to get into this inexpensively at first to see if I want to spend more money later, so I'm not expecting to get the world's best stuff right off the bat. I don't even necessarily want a scope to begin with, or is that a must-have?

Comments

• leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll probably hear lots of advice on this, everyone has their favorites. My two cents worth, Remington rifles are very good, a little less expensive than the Rugers. Ruger pistols are reasonable and accurate and will probably last longer than you or I will. At the distance you mention you'll get good performance from these guns.
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    Given you want to start out inexpensively my suggestion would be buy whatever gun you come up with - and buy some good ammo. The best ammo for accuracy has been made by Ely - try a few boxes of their ammo and see what results you get. Another good ammo is the standard velocity stuff made by Aguila (Mexico), it's inexpensive when compared with the Ely and in limited tests I've seen using a Ransom rest shoots as good (or sometimes better) than the Ely. Aguila is licensed to use the Ely priming system, and good priming in a 22 is very important.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    For the rifle, Mossberg has made a number of good (Not excellent) target rifles over the years. I'm sure you can find one at a very reasonable price here on the auction.If you find you need to go to top of the line later on then Anschutz is the only one to own.
    I Refuse to be a VictimGrumpy old man
  • SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger MKII series has many choices for .22 target and all are time proven performers that won't break the bank.Lots of accurizing accesories availible too.
  • JBJB Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to also go with a Ruger. I have one in a standard MKII with a taper barrel and also a target model with all the bells and whistles. Both shoot as accurate as I can hold them. As far as the scope goes, I put a cheap Simmons on my target and it very much defines exactly what you are shooting at.Start with out the scope and shoot hundreds of rounds for almost nothing and try shooting ten round targets and then try to improve. You will be the problem, not the gun. Good luck and enjoy!
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Blade:If you can hold out till you move down here,I`ll fix you up with one from the shop I work at,part time.If you are not moving soon,by all means,dont wait!!.218
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, everybody, for good suggestions. Mr. .128 a.k.a. BeeKeeper, thanks for the offer, I will take you up on it when I finally move down there, but it probably won't be until the late summer. There are so many pieces of the puzzle to put in place.Meanwhile, I've got the itch. Depending on when my NY pistol permit comes through, I may get a rifle or pistol first. Part of the problem is that I took the talented Mrs. Blade shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago to teach her how to use my carbine. She did such a great job that I told her I had a lot of confidence in her if we ever had to face the bad guys together. Well, that did it. So now I need another gun for me to shoot when we go together again. That's an opportunity, not a problem, right?
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could always go for a 10/22. No, it's no great target rifle right out of the box, but for the money it's not bad. If ou like its general function you can always upgrade the parts later, and make it a darn good target rifle.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked one of these up last summer. I LOVE it!!!! Paid $210.00 from a local dealer. +$5.00 for a single shot adaptor. This thing shoots!! 50yds she'll shoot 1" groups with the iron sights. That's saying something because you haven't seen my glasses! www.czub.cz/detail/452sta.htm WOODSbesides BeeKeeper will totally aprove of the schnabel forend trust me..[This message has been edited by woodsrunner (edited 02-01-2002).]
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, if you want a great target pistol, get a high standard. They are VERY accurate, but a little pricey. Well, maybe a lot pricey. Bu they are excellent.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    Adding to the High Standard recommendation - if you decide to go this route - stay away from the new HS guns built in Houston. Most desireable are the guns built in Hamden, next are the Hartford guns. Some sellers (and they sell here) will attempt to sell you a Mitchell gun as a HS - treat these the same as the Houston guns.
  • richc5richc5 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cooper Firearms of Montana make some of the most accurate rifles both in rimfire and center file syles.I am looking at the Model 57 in .22LR. Comes with a factory 5 shot 50 yard grouping test target. They don't ship unless they shoot a MINIMUM 5 shot grouping of .25 of 1 inch.I have seen targets with all 5 shots in the same hole. List price for this model is $995. www.cooperfirearms.com
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a ruger mk II in the gov't target model with a 6 7/8 barrel and I love it. I bought it here on gb for 200.00 I have seen a eaa target pistol here for like 399. it looks alot like a very $$$$$$ big dollar one and have not any feedback on it. No matter what you decide you will love shooting the 22's. Rich
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, the Hi-Standard .22 pistol is the way to go!