In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Long range with a ar15

gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I shoot long range rifle at a local club with a styre ssg p11. I would like to know if the ar15 with a 1/7 hbar will be accurite to the 400 yrd mark and what bullit weight should I start with.

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HBARs are not the best but can certainly shoot well.Oly SUM is the best factory barrel.Talk to Tommy at Georgia Precision and get 2-3 boxes of his 62-75 grain BlackHills ammo and see what works the best.cpermd
  • SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 20" H-bar has the 1 in 7 twist, and it doesn't do well with the lighter bullets.Best groups so far have come with the Hornaday BTHP match moly coated in 75 gr.loaded 15% below max. Hope this helps!
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1-7 twist is made for heavier bullets, You didn't say if you reload or want to buy off the shelf, or what length barrel you have ... I like the 69 & 77gn HPBTM Sierra and the 80gn HPBTM for single load and thats an advantage of reloading, a much broader range of components are avaiable than factory loaded ammo ... more info please!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you're considering buying an AR. If so, investigate the 1 turn in 8 inch twist for the heavier bullets and pose your question on www.ar15.com before you buy.
  • gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do reload and the barrel length is 20"