In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Steyr Mannlicher M.95 load question

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I just picked one of these up and am going to try it out with some surplus ammo, but if all goes well, will get into reloading. I see nominal bore diameter is an odd .329". Anyone know where to get jacketed bullets in this caliber, or even better yet, a bullet mould?
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk, buffalo arms lists jacketed .329s. Lyman/Ideal never did list a production mold in this caliber, but LBT may. They do a lot of special order work.(I know zip about the mann. m95)
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Who is LBT and how to get in touch with them?
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the ILOR search engine (it's Great)and look under bullet moulds. There are a bunch of sources that make off-size bullets and make & modify moulds for all the obsolete American & European sizes. If you trip over a .41 Long Colt mould let me know.
    edited November -1
    Well, looks like LBT (lead bullet technology) is out of business due to tax evasion. See www.sixgunner.com/FAQ/lbt.htm To bad. Mr Vernal Smith made REAL good molds. He would make them to order in about 2 months. I have several and prise them. Very good prices, too. Maybe that's why he didn't pay his tax?
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is surplus ammo out there, check with Centuryarms.com and watch the auctions and IF you find dies let me know also.
    edited November -1
    I've been doing research. I know the surplus is out there. Still, it is pretty expensive stuff so I plan to get into reloading. Ammodump in Australia makes a brass mould in .330. $65 plus $6 shipping to the US. Pricey? Yes. But as with all other reloading endeavors, it will quickly pay for itself. As for dies, CH4D and Lee both make them.
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do know that the 1930's ammo that is out there is berdan primed right? I have the ammo available. At $3.50 a box in quantity, you'll have to do a lot of reloading before this becomes a practical investment I would think. Have you looked at the cost of the proper sized berdan primers? LRARMSX@HOME.COM
    edited November -1
    That is $3.50 per 15, right? If so, reloading is the way for me to go as I would shoot about 200 rounds or so per year from the gun, meaning in a year or two reloading stuff would pay for itself. I wouldn't be reloading the Berdan primed stuff; either I would form cases from 7.62X54R or buy proper Betram stuff.
    edited November -1
    www.neihandtools.com This time I checked and these guys(US company) are still in business. They make Aluminum molds. They have 2 .330cal available: a 116gr RN Beveled base and a 245gr GC FN. You may want to take a look.
  • ledbelly52734ledbelly52734 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JONK:: winchester is loading 7.62 RR with boxers~ $12.00/20 Sellier & beloit has some too. I have heard that you can fire form Russ. Rimmed easily. Has anyone pulled some military and miked the bullets? I know the correct nomenclature is 8.2 x 50 or 56. Mine is 50.