In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Advice

marcoffmarcoff Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a gun I am thinking of selling. No idea what kind of gun it is because i cannot find it in any books. Description is as follows:It reads Marlin 1898. It is lever action. 38 w is the caliber. Has a octagon barrel. The action and barrel are chromed. Can anyone tell me it's worth and any facts?

Comments

• marcoffmarcoff Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to get my first rifle basicly for pig and deer hunting so I would like to know your opinions on what to get also why???also what scope should I need to get,thanks to all.
    edited November -1
    I'm getting ready to buy my first rifle. I want to get a .30-06 rifle, but I'm undisided on what brand to get because there is so many. That's why I asking for advice from any expert out there. right now I'm looking at diffrent brands and models, like the CZ 550 american 30-06, Remington 700 Classic and the LSI Howa 1500 .30-06 Thumbhole Sporter. Can someone give me advice on what to buy. Thanks
    edited November -1
    DO YOU HAVE TO TEAR THE BARREL OFF A REM 7400 TO GET THE BOLT OUT...
    edited November -1
    I am in the market for a handgun, for personal protection, would be concealed on person. What are some good options with the following criteria in mind.
    1. not too heavy or bulky
    2. .38 cal or larger
    3. price under $1,000.00
    4. ease of use and accuracy is important
    appreciate your thoughts.
    edited November -1
    hey guys,need advice i got 10 clips for a 1911 colt,i got a guy who wants to buy them there in good shape,no rust,or dents,slight wear marks,what is a fair price???
    edited November -1
    Has anyone purchased a gun online to find it wasn't in the condition described? How did you resolve it? What if the seller is unwilling to remedy the issue? I am just looking for advice from the experts who I am sure have run into this problem at one time or another.

I appreciate your help.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 243,22-250 would be fine, those are two very different size animalsunles you are talking cooze deer but I would asume your'e talking big whitties so 243 would be a minimum for me but kinda big for pig. My brother has killed alot of deer with his 22-250 but I just think it is a little small. As for a pakage I don't know what you are wanting to spend but savage puts some nice desent priced deals together. You may even try some pawn shops or even look here on gb.Good luck Rich
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting close range i would look at a 44mag in a cabine. The 7.62 russian works very well for both as well. My 2 cents
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get serious ... more deer have become steaks by the work of the 30-30 and the 30.06 than everything else put together!True there are newer and flatter trajectories than the 30-30 but they do the job. I've been using a .356 calibre Winchester Model 94AE, and it is a dandy. I got it when I was in Quebec so I could use it for moose as well, or I would be using the 30-30 for sure. But I should add that I'm hunting in the woods - no long shots at all!Bonne Chasse!
    Ken
  • reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 270 is a great gun also and can be used for most anything. Thats what I use for deer and elk with 130 gr nosler ballistic tip. It would work good for pig to with 100 gr. or 90 gr HP bullet
    Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell me more about the cooze deer... those sound interesting!
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depending on the range of your shots, I would suggest something along the lines of a 7mm-08 or 260. A nice short barrel gun works well for woods hunting and has enough power to be effective at 250yds+. These calibers are typicaly in shorter barrel configurations, therefore, I would not use them for long shooting. But for close up hog hunts and woods/small field white tails, they recoil minimaly and harvest nicely. A beginner scope for not a lot of $$$ but great quality is the Simmons Aetec. Around $180 in Natchez.
  • muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marcof......Apparently my email last night reached you all jumbled up. I don't know why. But, it wasn't sent in Chinese, I assure you. If you still need an answer to the question, just email me.Take care,muley
  • oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why go to all of these exotics and wildcats and off the wall types? The good old ought six (30.06) will handle all your chores. Ammo can be found about anywhere with bullet weights of 110 grains to 220 grains and all in between. Take any North American game from prarie dogs to moose. Yes, include Griz. (Bullet placement) The bullet weights may have been added to since I last looked (I hunt black powder now) but the point is, you can't beat the venerable and trusted 30.06 for a multi purpose firearm. Of course, I will be flamed here but the truth is the truth and facts are facts. Good luck in your search. Posting a question like yours here will make your head spin with all of the different opinions. I can say good and bad about all of the previous posts. The decision is yours.
    Life is Tough!It's Tougher if You're Stupid