In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A

erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does the M1A only come in 7.62 Nato rounds...and from a previous posting I am to assume its the 7.62-54 round?

Comments

• erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of group would a springfield post ban M1A with match barrel new, be expected to get? Please don't say its' up to the shooter. I know that. Assuming I can get a 1/2 " group at 100 yds with other weapons with my own loads, how good is this M1A with carefully tailored hand loads and a good scope? What is your experience with this type M1A?Thanks
    edited November -1
    ok i posted m1a or ar-10 you all said m1a now i will buy a Springfield but my uncle was wondering what do you think of the chinese m1a he found one at the gun shop for 700 bucks
    thanks for the info

travis
    edited November -1
    thanks for all your help and advice....i think i'm going with the m1a..but now a few more questions if you don't mind. how much should i expect to pay for a new standard m1a? a used? also will the shortened barrel on the bush model affect the accuracy? also...in the long run would the fiberglass or the maple stock hold up better..which is really more durable? thanks for helping you all are the best and fastest source of information that i can find.

Edited by - moses25 on 07/23/2002 10:52:20
    edited November -1
    With all the modles available what one would you suggest for target shooting and what scope would you recomend
    edited November -1
    i was going through the manual for my SA m1a and read where it says you can turn off the gas system to launch grenades with blanks. does this mean with live ammo it basically turns into a straight pull bolt action? would this damage the rifle? seems it would save some cleaning when just plinking.
    edited November -1
    SOCOM 16 unfired like new $1700.00 is this a fair price?
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can get 1/2 inch group with other weapons you should be able to put 5 in the same hole. Seriously, at least 1/2 inch groups.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a NM M1A shoot into 0.5 MOA.I believe the above is incorrect.Plan on 1-1.4 MOAcpermd
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you shoot other rifles with .5 groups, your probably aware it takes more than a N.M. barrel to make a good shooter.The standard production guns with N.M barrells (Loaded models) will vary on ability ... some will do .5", some wont; Mine didn't until I had some extensive up-grading done ... probably didn't need all that I done, but you know ... where do you stop? I should have just had one built but now it shoots a ragged hole at 200.dano, are you talking about your Super Match ... it better do .5", but a "Loaded" wont comapre to a "SuperMatch"
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for that tight grouping, and want to be sure it will happen, I would go for the Super Match. It has the rear lugged action which is factory glass bedded. These will do what you want, however, do you want to pay for it. That is the question. These guns are superb shooters, my buddies will group .5" with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.
  • altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys are giving me inspiration !With all due respect, I tend to disagree with the one poster who believes 1.4 MOA is what to expect from an M1A/NM with a scope. I'm using an NM and iron sights with Hirtenberger surplus and holding 4@100yds. Considering I can't shoot worth a crap due to excessive gray hair and gawd knows what, I would find it hard to believe you can't get to .75-.50 with a scope. Well... I will find out. Springfield reports that the "scope special" is due in about, oh, 3 or 4 more months. I hope I don't go blind by then.enjoy and have some fun...By the bye, the M1A is a pristine rifle (in my humble opinion). Big, fat, semi-ugly, but chews through garbage ammo and performs well.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even Fulton won't guarantee 1 MOA on his NM M1As.You guys need to see some matches.There are no NM SA rifles there.What few M14 clones left are more like $2500-3500 and very custom,bedded rifles.SA makes nice rack grade guns.I also have SA NM and SM rifles.I will take somebody turkey hunting here if they can show up with a scoped stock NM and shoot 0.5 MOA.cpermd
  • altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ma gawd... I work with soooo many turkeys every day, I thought you had a solution to incompetent engineers and the bane of my workday existence. How dare you get my hopes up ! But, I reread, reset, restarted, but didn't reload. I agree that .5 may be a bit enthusiastic. But sub-1.0 should be achievable. And, for the most part, it's likely that most folks would be darn happy with it. There are so many variables (including talent) that going sub-1.0 is a nice "talking subject" but a goal that most would fine satisfying if done in real world... If the typical shooter parked a box of 20 in one inch, my guess is that they would frame it. I would. old and gray.enjoy !
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must say I am a little surprised that there are some that are not sure how accurate the M1A is. First, I have seen FN-Fals that can shoot 1.5 with match barrels. I myself wished I was that good. I have personally seen a man shoot 5 rounds at a target at 100yds at less than a inch (.9 probably) with my standard M1a using Radway green British ammo. Now 3-5 inches is more my speed and I am happy with that. I don't use special loads. The Springfield M1a is in my opinion one of the best rifles ever made. I think that only human limitations keep the rifle from doing just about anything it wants. So if the gentleman above can get .5 with other rifles I don't see why he can't with an M1a easily.
  • ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    altos- I have been wondering about my Springfield scope and have been meaning to call, brought my M1A 9/5/2001, and sent in my $99 scope and mount coupon right away, still waiting for it.