In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-40 Krag Carbine?

110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have an opportunity to buy a model 1898 Springfield Krag Carbine for $100.00. This is from a co-worker. I know that he doesn't know a lot about gun values but when I asked him what he wanted for it, he said, $100.00. From the proof marks that I could see, a "P" on the buttstock area under the trigger guard along with "D 48" just above the P. The date on the stock is 1901, and serial number on reciever is 155108. I have seen some auctions for Krag carbines and this serial # seems to be a lot lower than the ones in the auctions. How can I tell if this is a true carbine or a "chopped" long rifle. Is that possible?

Comments

• 110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there any way to tell if the gun has been cut down? The stock appears to untouched. Can I tell with the serial numbers?
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the bore is good and overall cond. is ok I would say it's worth a lot more than $100.00.I have one that I bought under similar circumstances.When I looked it up I found that it was called a NRA Carbine.Does it have a full band front sight ?
    ATF
  • 110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sight appears to be the origional military. is there a sight I can check the serial #s to see? I still am planning on buying it because it's still in good shape for being 100 years old.
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll let you doubble your money
  • just-shootjust-shoot Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    Check the top front of the stock just under the barrel for a small hole filled in with wood putty. The long 30-40 kreg had a rod of somesort, maybe a cleaning rod that ran under the barrel where as the carbin did not. I dodn't realy know what I'm talking about, this is just a bit of info pass on to me a long time ago when I was wondering the same thing on my 30-40 Kreg. Turned out mine was origninaly a true carbine. Hope this helps a little. For a $100. bucks, I would get it if your looking for a good shooter.