In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handgun shipping

llarenallarena Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone enlighten me on the confusing handgun shipping laws?? How do I as an unlicensed individual ship a modern handgun to an FFL holder? It is my understanding that neither UPS or the postal service will accept shipment from an unlicensed individual. Furthermore, what if the handgun is an antique, any changes???

Comments

• llarenallarena Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it legal to ship my handgun to myself at my summer residence from my winter residence?
    edited November -1
    I plan on putting up an ad for a hand gun this morning. I read the shipping instructions. For a non-FFL owner, it says I can ship FedEx next day. The date on the page was 2005. Is it still legal to ship on FedEx? Is there anything special for shipping? Could a sell be handled through a dealer? I live in Blacksburg, SC just outside of Charlotte.

Any help appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I am looking to ship a pistol within the US and I'm not familiar with the regulations. Do I have to use a licensed dealer (agent) or can I ship the pistol in pieces? Should I use US Postal Service?

thank you for any advice you can give.
    vaca151
    edited November -1
    Hello Ya'll What is the cheapest way to ship a handgun if your not a FFL. You sold the pistol on gun broker and you want to get it to them the most economical way. I know they pay shipping but whats the best route.?
    edited November -1
    Just sold my first handgun online, easy as pie, on GUNBROKER.COM, my concern is with the shipping, how is it so many can ship for $25? I looked, reviewed other auctions, came up with what I thought was a reasonable shipping cost, only to be blown away at UPS with a $70 shipping cost. How is it done cheaper?
    edited November -1
    i heard that if you don't have a license the only way to ship a modern handgun is Fedex Overnight, is this true.
  • scott5792scott5792 Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, That is a reall ygood question.Actually never thought about it.In Va if you take your gun to a shop for service and have to leave it. You're supposed to have to do the FFL thing again.Good luck. These people seem very informed.Scott
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not only legal, but recommended. This provision was intended to allow those who hunt in another state to get their guns there without having to check them on an airplane. No one else should even open the package.Of course, it will be expensive. You must use UPS/FEDEX, both of which require Next Day Air for handguns. FEDEX also requires the gun be disabled.Neal
    edited November -1
    by disabled. what do you mean?Do I have to carry my bolt with me on the trip?I don't know what you maen by disabled.Scott
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to go to the FEDEX website, or contact them by phone, for their current definition of "disabled". Neal
    edited November -1
    thank you. Going to check.Scott