In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ANY Intratec TEC-22 owner's out there?

justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I just was given one of these. Never saw one before. Checked out a few on GB.com. Threaded barrel, original box, original mag marked 'Scorpion'. low s/n xx3000, filthy inside the chamber. Looks 90% outside.
Any of you have one or know what I've got, please reply.
Thanks.
John

Comments

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have pretty much already described what you have, by yourself. Other than that I might add (I do have one), they are very finiky about ammo and very prone to jam. Mag choice seems to be the critical issue. Average $2 ~ 300 dollar gun. Have fun they are a hoot to shoot when running good.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I have a few along with their big brother. Be advised that these pistols were inexpensive and had feed problems. The mag well is quite loose being molded as opposed to machined. I have found after firmly seating the mag to rock to bottom forward - that helps. They were available NIB for $120. or so a few years ago although not the threaded barrel ver. That's somewhat of a moot point now (until the next big ban occurs). You can't use Butler Creek mags but others are available.

Not something you want to stake your life on but as clays said they are fun (and inexpensive)to shoot.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • travisyatestravisyates Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a Tec 22 with the manual. You didn't say if you got the manual, but it states that you need to use high velocity ammo to avoid jamming. It says to avoid: truncated heads, sharp angles in the nose, Remington "new" thunderbolt, Remington Viper, Yellowjackets, and hollow points.

I haven't tried it yet. I will report back my findings.
  • travisyatestravisyates Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried the Tec 22. I fired 100 rounds of CCI high velocity and 50 Wolf high velocity. It had a lot of feed problems for the initial round. I discovered that the 30 round magazine fits loose. So once I discovered how it needed to sit and got it to feed properly, I had 3 or 4 feed problems out of the 150 rounds I fired. I was able to fire an entire 30 round mag no problems.

Basically, the magazine needed to be pushed forward properly so that the feeder could load it into the chamber. For the 3 or so feed problems that occurred mid magazine, maybe the magazine jiggled loose again and caused the jam, I'm not sure. I would remove the mag and try again. So basically once I insert the mag propery and get it to feed the first round correctly, it performed well.

One other problem I had was with the 30 round mag. The last couple rounds were tight (maybe it was only a 25 round mag and I over fed). One time the bullets got stuck and I had to tap the mag to get the elavator unstuck. Perhaps I should only use 25 rounds.

Overall, I'd say it performed well for a 22 with such a large mag. Accuracy? I'm not a good judge since I can't hit the broad side of a barn anyway. It's a lot of fun to fire off 25 rounds in fast succession, if you don't mind a jam every 50 rounds or so. Plus, the gun is trivial to take apart and fix. The cover opens up and it's one piece that comes out. You can unjam it and fire again in 10 seconds. Fun, cheap. If it were a 9mm with these problems I probably wouldn't keep it. But for a 22, I'll keep it.
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are garbage. Had one- sold it - made some money- won't buy another one. For that price you might as well get a Ruger 10/22 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.