In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1911 38 Super - 9mm?

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Can I get a 9mm barrel & mag for my Colt 1911 in 38 Super and drop it in? Cost? Function/Reliability? Sources? Pics? Testimonials?

Comments

• DMZDMZ Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a 9mm barrel, ejector and magazine is all. I have done it as I had a .38 Super pre 70 Series that headspaced on the rim. Accuracy sucked!!
    I am not fond of the .38 Super. Its a hot cartridge and great for matches, etc. but for plinking it is not. Too much noise, blast, etc. 9mm is cheap as hell to shoot and less blast, recoil, etc.
    Parts can be had at Brownells, Gun Parts(Numrich) and other places
    Ejector wont be cheap. Mags arent either. Barrel, saw one here on Gunbroker a day ago, 9mm Govt.
    Hint, 9mm in a Govt. as is arent the most accurate of 9's. But if you fit a match bushing and maybe a longer link or a Wilson Group Gripper it should perform with other nines that are untouched. Check out Brownells for a match barrel, unramped with an already fitted bushing. Then fit a longer link(next size)or a Wilson Group Gripper(Brownells has them) and it will be nice. Otherwise you would be better off money wise getting something else.
    I have been pistolsmithing 1911's for over 30 years. If you need any help email me at dzaher@etruckcenter.com with the subject as ".38/9mm" and I will know its you. I dont accept emails I dont know(you know the drill!) Anytime, take care, Danny in Salt Lake City
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was an article in G&A long ago regarding 70 series Colts and they found you could change the 38 Super to several different calibers fairly easily.
  • celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE EJECTOR FOR THE 38SUP AND 9MM ARE THE SAME. THE MAG IS DIFFERENT AS IT WILL HAVE BLOCKING IN THE REAR OF THE MAG TO HOLD THE SHORTER ROUND IN PROPER LOCATION. SOME OF THE PROBLEM MAY BE IN THE TYP OF BARREL CUT ( IS IT A RAMPED OR NONRAMPED BARREL.)THE HOOD LENTH AND WIDTH,IF YOU USE A DROP IN BARREL MOST OF THESE WON'T BE AN ISSUE.THE EXTRACTOR WILL NEED TO BE TUNED FOR 9MM BUT IT IS THE SAME PART NUMBER AS WELL.AS TO THE 38SUP HEAD SPACEING IT HAS BEEN MANY MANY YEARS SINCE IT WAS HEADSPACED OFF THE RIM MY GUESS IS 50 PLUS YEARS. THE NEWER STYLE CHAMBER REAMER IS REFURED TO AS NONTA ( THIS IS PROBLEY NOT SPELLED RIGHT I AM A GUNSMITH AND CAN'T SPELL)IT HEADSPACES OFF THE MOUTH. IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTION PLEASE CALL 217-585-1911
  • cortronboycortronboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use a 9mm barrel if you dont have a frame cut for a supported barrel. If so you will have to have a supported barrel.
    Most of the time I just used the 9mm in my 38 super with out doing any thing just set your bullets out a little farther and use the super barrel and mags. If it shoots the super well it will shoot the 9mm well. I f you want a barrel drop me an email I have one and I have some mags as well.
    bigboy53@fuse.net

gary hacker
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Saxonpig is right,Ive been looking into buying a .38 Super can you tell me if your pleased with yours?

Thanks!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • cortronboycortronboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked mine it was bult for me by a friend who has now passed on. Used it for plates, and pins and some combat. If you are getting a lot of jump and flash you are probly useing blue dot then just shoot a .45. If you are going to get one get the supported barrel a lot less head ackes and safer. If you want the load I used email me. I think you will be happy with one if you get one. Its not the price of the gun its the amount of ammo you burn that makes you good.

gary hacker
  • rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. I just bought a new one a couple of weeks ago; it's a full size Govt. Model MKIV Series 80. I have plenty of 1911 style 45's and a few 9mm's, but I never owned a Colt 38 Super. I have not shot it yet but was just wondering what I could/should do or not do with the gun. I don't reload and 9mm ammo is about 1/2 of what 38 Super cost. I called Colt and they recommended a whole top end & mag. I think I'll leave the super a super and just use my Hi-Power or Glock when I feel like shooting 9's.

Thanks again.