In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

question on whitetail caliber choice

danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm getting rid of a 30.06 for various reasons and would like to replace it with something of a lighter caliber. I already own a .223 so I don't want to go too light for the deer rifle. I will be hunting exclusively whitetail where some shots are in the woods and some will be in open fields. These are the calibers I'm considering .270, .308, 7mm08, 25.06. I'm leaning towards the .270 because of its popularity and choice of ammunition, but how does it recoil compared to the 30.06? Would you chose one of the other calibers listed and why???

Comments

• greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    You really can't go wrong with any of the calibers you mentioned. They are all good and if you reload, a whole new world will open to you. You can develop your favorite "woods" round or long range "open field" rounds. Either way, the .270 is a great round.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All calibers you listed would be excellent for whitetail deer...as well as the 30-06 you're getting rid of. Regarding recoil, they will be about the same as the '06 with the same weight bullets. That is, a 150 gr. round in 270 caliber will have about the same recoil as a 150 gr. '06 round.

Don't know your reasons, but you're getting rid of the best caliber...at least, that's my opinion.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • bmxrcbmxrc Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had .270win Ruger m77 it kick as much 30'06 as my father in-law has. Sold it Bought a 308 shoot around 50-70 round when go to range.. Much lighter recoil(Cheap ammo) For hunting elk this fall ID, I use Light Magugnum Hornady 165gr btsp Kill 5x5 at 147yds One Shot I have a Savage 12bvss.. LOVE 308

Edited by - bmxrc on 12/01/2002 00:06:45
  • bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the 7mm-08. Great deer round. Very accurate and plenty of power for whitetails. If you reload and want something with a bit more punch, put on a 26in barrel and build yourself an ackley imp. 7mm mag velocities with very little recoil. I have killed deer at over 350 yds with the imp and all they did was hit the ground. If this is something that interests you email me at bullhauler359@yahoo.com and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the calibers listed the only ones that could reasonably replace the 30/06 would be the 25/06 for flat trajectory with less recoil and the 7-08 for decent power with less recoil.

Mobuck
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    If I could only have one gun for all hunting it would be the 25-06!!! Varmints to any deer species in NA!!! The bullet choices today are great offering everything from light (75 grains) to 120 grains. Flat shooting, mild recoil and has been known to be accused of shooting heat seeking missles!! GHD
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a .270 for many years and been very happy with it. When I originally bought it it was to be used for both Deer and Elk. For the type hunting I do today If I were to get a rifle just for deer I'd probably chose a 25-06. Lighter recoil, plenty of power and slightly higher velocity and flatter trajectory. You really cant lose with any of those calibers.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compare the balistics of the 7mm-08 to the 270. They are extremely close in performance. I like the 7mm-08 first of all because of it's inherent accuracy, it is the most accurate of the 7mm family according to Edward Matunas, author of Big Game Cartridges & Rifles. Secondly, I like the fact that all rifles for this caliber are short action. If you have to hike or walk a lot for your particular hunting situation, the light and short rifles make it much easier on you. I find that maneuvering the short rifles while in a deer stand makes for much faster shooting and less detection due to not having to get a longer rifle up and over my shooting rails. I have found it be a great whitetail caliber.

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • auburn_63auburn_63 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Browning 7mm rem. mag. with a boss, and you won't have any recoil.
  • Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently use a 7mm mag, but my second choice would either be a 25-06 or .308. Both are great guns and if you want a super accurate gun get a police sniper version in the .308.
  • hawaiipighunterhawaiipighunter Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am huge fan of the short action calibers. here is my .02!

i own a ruger 77 in 243 that i love. if you think the 243 is too light, you can jump to the 257 roberts. i owned a browning blr in 257 roberts, and on whitetails in ny, it was the cats meow. i had a problem with the safety on mine and i ended up trading for a blr 7mm-08. it was a great trade, the 7mm-08 does give you the 140 grain bullets for thicker woods.

i think that terrain would depend on which caliber will owrk best for you. if you hunt mainly open meadows with shots under 250 yards, all three aforementioned cartridges will do the trick. if your terrain is wooded with the chance of a shot in briars and brush, the 7mm08 would be my choice.

the one thing that i did like about the 243 is that you can go to any chain store, or gas station in the northeas and find ammo. C'mon you ve never forgotten a box of ammo at home, or brought the wrong caliber?

kyle