In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Revolvers

FourTailsFourTails Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple of questions I would appreciate hearing from you on these two items:
First, my recently used purchase S&W revolver is stamped Mod. 66-3. I see Mod 66 at the S&W website but I don't know the significance of the suffix "3"...is it barrel length? Mine is a stainless, 357, I believe 4" barrel, 6-shot, double action, K-Frame revolver.
Secondly, I see the following language on gun barrels, publications, auction lots, etc. Are all/any of these terms essentially the same: "38 S&W", "38 Special", "38", and "38 S&W Special Ctg."?
Thanks for the help. Best, Jim

timbroman@aol.com

Comments

• FourTailsFourTails Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith and Wesson has a revolver listed as "Performance Center" and other than being a little more stylish and heavier looking frame, is this a custom gun of sorts with more workmanship? Thanks, Mike

Michael A. Calvert
    edited November -1
    What is the distinction of the secondary number of the model 29? I have see model numbers 29-1 29-2 29-3. what is the difference?
    edited November -1
    I would like to get some information on older s&w revolvers (pre-lock) vs current revolvers. What is the difference, when did they change, which one is better, i.e. more reliable, durable, greater value, etc.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael... Yes, and Yes. The performance center is a separate "dept" or "branch" of Smith & Wesson. They have gunsmiths with loads of experience who build the PC guns. Only certain models are made at the PC such as the 8 shot 627 .357 mag of which I own one. The PC guns usually come in a metal carry case with locks and handle, and all that need stuff.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Lefty, I'm looking at a .44 Magnum at a good price.

Michael A. Calvert