In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Touch Up Paint???

Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is there a preferred touch up paint or ?, for finish wear on the black/annodized finishes, such as Browning Buck Mark?Would like to find something to keep finish looking nice, when gun gets a nick or shows finish wear.Any ideas?SUPPORT THE NRA

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    This may sound cheap, but I use Krylon or Rustoleum flat black or satin black spray to refinish aluminum. Sand the imperfections smooth, clean and dry the surface and shoot. I then either let it dry in the Texas sun for two days or bake it overnight in the oven at about 200 degrees. Properly done, it looks like anodizing.Brownell's makes a baking enamel but I have not tried it. www.brownells.com There is no way to easily anodize aluminum in a home workshop.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator and Supreme Ruler of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • lugee00lugee00 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best I've found is a commerical grade flat black spray paint from Sunbeam Outdoor Products, it actually dries to a satin finish with a slightly textured appearance and is hard as nails, very resistant to strong solvents. It's a paint to redo the outdoor gas and charcoal grills they make. I use it simular to the way nunn described, bake the part/s in the oven at around 200-250 degrees for a few hours. I've used it to redo lots of military metal gun parts with good results. It's as good at least as some gunsmith applied spray finishs I've had done for a lot less cost. I work at the Sunbeam facility that produces grills, if anyone is interested I'll post or email the part number and address or 1-800 phone number to obtain it.
  • Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    lugee00Please post the part # and 800 #, I know I want to order and try some.Thanks
  • lugee00lugee00 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spring Creek, the number is 1-800-641-4500, ask for customer service. The part number is 20-7408, flat black spray paint. They also have a "grey black" that looks like it would closely match most of the grey parkerized military finishes, I havent had a chance to compare it yet, dont have the part number for it handy. Suggestion, if you follow nunn's post on preparation then spray lightly, let dry about an hour then repeat, let dry to touch then heat as discussed you should have good results. Let us know,,
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stove paints wear off quicklyI use a flat black for auto enginesEither one is easy to touch up though and they do retain clp for rust prevention