In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope for a savage 24v

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
help! BEEN THINKING OF SCOPING MY SAVAGE 24V IN 20 GAUGE OVER 357 MAXIMUM .I HAVE BEEN TOLD TOO USE A SHOTGUN SCOPE NOT A RIFLE SCOPE .NEXT HOW COULD YOU SIGHT IN BOTH THE RIFLE BARREL AND THE SHOTGUN BARREL WITH POSS A SLUG ?ANY SUGGESTIONS ,BRAND ,TYPE HOW WOULD YOU DO IT THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What average distance and what type of shooting conditions do you plan on using it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OH I WOULD SAY UNDER 100 YDS FOR MO. WHITETAIL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd go with a red-dot or reflex type scope then. Under 100yds, you shouldn't really need much magnification. Maybe a Aimpoint series 3000 Scope, Tasco PDP. Trijicon makes a Reflex II scope that doesn't use batteries, uses ambiant light, and when there's not enough ambient light it has built in tritium illumination, like in tritium night sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Or you can get a Bushnell Holosight w/a standard reticule, would be good for shotgun and rifle. I believe the Tasco PDP5 has a like 5 different reticules you can use at the turn of a knob/switch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS ,I WAS THINKING OF THE RED DOT MYSELF ,HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS ,I MEAN SIGHTIHG IN A RIFLE AND SHOTGUN COMB TOO SHOOT APPROX THE SAME POINT OF AIM ? IS THIS POSSIBLE?
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    If you sight in the rifle ,the shotgun will be there too,just the way it is.
    HOW `BOUT THEM `NOLES???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually I have seen special scope mounts that will mount a red-dot sight to the left and high on a regular scope. No B.S. They are made for 3-gun matches for the rifles. I will try to find a website for you and a picture.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found it. A company called Grams Engineering manufactures them. http://www.gramseng.com/ With one of these you could use a scope to sight in your rifle, and then a red-dot for your shotgun.[This message has been edited by leeblackman (edited 09-04-2001).][This message has been edited by leeblackman (edited 09-04-2001).][This message has been edited by leeblackman (edited 09-04-2001).][This message has been edited by leeblackman (edited 09-04-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't get the picture to show up....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I got it now.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main differences between a 'regular' scope vs shotgun are the 'parallax(range/distance) focus is usually set to about 75 yds, and many reticles are thicker.If using a 4X or higher power the target can be slightly out of focus at shorter distances. This is becomming less important as many shotguns/slugs today are capable of 100 yd. shots. I design & build slug oshotguns capable of sub MOA 3 shot groups, and accurate out to 175 yds. In your case a 20ga. from a short barrel could go both ways if 4X or less.I hunt also with a red dot as was suggested.Like it much better for shotgun, and combos like yours. Personally in red dots use/sell only Aimpoint because they hold up, and are accurate. Reflex sights again as previously mentioned are a great addition, with Bushnell the better compared to Tasco Optima.Note a word of caution...if you 'multi mount'optics like pictured, the mounting system must be very strong, and you should only useone piece tube scopes. Many scope today still use screwed together occular, objective, and tubes. You won't see it, but when side or saddle mounting as shown it can affect the scopes structural integrity, and adjustments.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS GUYS !YOU HAVE BEEN ALOT OF HELP.I THINK I AM GOING TOO GO THE RED DOT WAY I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES DDHOTBOT