In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kimber 45

Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
anybody own a kimber handgun? are they that good ?

Comments

• Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Kimber 45 made in Oregon. Does it have collector value or do you think it might in the future?Correct Kimber guy. It is blue and NIB[This message has been edited by Smoky14 (edited 08-27-2001).]
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What model? Stainless or Blue? Any hint as to condition?... kinda like asking if my 96 Chevy will ever have any collector value ... if its a crappy Cavalier, high miles and had the crap driven out of it probably not ... if its a mint low mile Corvette probably so ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it does, there are so many Kimbers still being produced, I doubt it. I don't really think the older ones resale as much as the newer ones. The newer ones are better quality and don't shoot loose like the old ones did. I'd sell it and get a Colt if you want something that will be worth something.[This message has been edited by leeblackman (edited 08-29-2001).]
    edited November -1
    Lee ... what the heck are you talking about? Shaking apart? New ones better quality? HA! and HA! HA!The Clackamas Oregon Kimbers are the ones that stunned everyone and allowed Kimber to takeover a large chunk of the 1911 .45 market! Since when does a poor quality gun that "shakes apart" do that? I'm fortunate enough to have a Stainless Classic Custom, its the smoothest and best fitting Kimber of the 7 I own. Although I feel the Yonkers N.Y. modles are still the best on the current production market ... the Oregon models had more hand fitting and tighter quality control (as a result of it) than the new fancy Yonkers CNC plant can hope to achive.
    edited November -1
    Thanks KimberKid for your input. Get a Colt yeah right, maybe someone will trade me huh?
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comparing the Kimber to the Colt is like comparing a nice high standard to a jennings, Kimber being the High Standard.. Just stiring the pot alittle
    edited November -1
    Smokey14,As to your original question, the best way to find out what its worth is to put it up for auction ... put a reserve on it so you don't have to sell it unless you get the price you want OR start it at the minimum you'll take for it and see what happens!Typically people will email and want to know your reserve, but its up to you if you want to reveal that or not ... on the down side some people wont bid if there is a reserve.As my uncle Olaf used to say ... its only worth is what someone is willing to pay!By the way, IF you were to sell it, what would you want for it?
    kimberkid - Buyer of cheap shooters ... Seller of Fine Classic and Collectable Firearms
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, before this thread gets locked out or deleted, I have a quick question to ask. I have a stainless Para-Ordnance P-13 that I plan on trading towards a Kimber Gov't Model. Which of the Kimbers should I get if it's just a shoot-em-up range gun and home defense gun? I don't plan on competing with it and I like stainless.
    edited November -1
    Hey Kimberkid I'm sorry the question was so confusing. I sometimes can't ask a good question. What I wanted to know is if you all think that in the long run the Oregon Kimber, when compared to a NY Kimber of equal specs, would be more valuable or desirable to a collector. Thanks for your opinions.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry kimberkid, I was just saying the local gossip that goes on at my local gunshop. I wasn't implying that they "shake apart," all I really ment was when you first take and shoot it you might pop 3/4" at 25yds, but after you shoot 1000rds through it you might get 1.25" at 25yds and it stays at that. Thats how I heard they break in, but the new ones seem to be closer tolerances and don't break in like that, they keep they're group.But you might know better than me.
    edited November -1
    Smokey14, As with most guns (excluding pre-ban types), it probably wont become really valuable for at least 20-25 years or so ... for investment purposes banks pay better intrest than that. I'd shoot it and enjoy it. If your looking for investment look for a Colt (I hate saying that, but its true) Although the Oregon models are few, it will take time for them to build a Heritage and will never have the desirability that Colt has attained with collectors ... of course as I say this there is probably someone out there that would pay $1500 - $2000 for a NIB Oregon Kimber idsman75,Check out Item #1926987, its a Custom Classic Stainless, base model with rubber grips and fixed sights but it still has the good stuff; front and rear beveled slide serrations, polished breech face, match grade trigger group, Commander style hammer, extended ejector, tactical extractor, rounded and blended edges, oversized firing pin stop, beveled magazine well and high ride beavertail grip safety are all standard as are the match grade barrels which are machined from a forging, even the Barrel bushings, which lock the barrel in position, are machined from stainless steel blanks. Their contact tolerance is just one half of one thousandth (.0005) inch. The reserve on this item is $719 (stated in the auction) The Classic Stainless is THE BEST VALUE on the market! (Blue has all the same features but is about $100 less)leeblackman,Thanks for the clarification, although .75" group at 25 yd is amazing I'd be skeptical, even the Custom Shop SuperMatch ($1927 retail) is only guarenteed to shoot less than 3" at 50yd.
    edited November -1
    If there is someone out there who would pat 1500 to 2000 for it...It's gone. Thanks for the comments. Smoky