In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who here hunts deer with a .223rem?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I had a previous post asking for loads for the .223rem for medium game, and was supprised at the amount of replies. I was just curious as to how many people must use the small .223rem to hunt deer. I hear so many people telling me that I shouldn't use it for medium game, but never hear any support for it till now. If you've shot a deer I'm also curious to know the terminal effects it had on the deer I.E. penetration, takedown, how far the deer ran, expansion, how much the deer bleed, etc.

Comments

• vaughn99vaughn99 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is illegal to hunt deer with .223 in new york state sorry we cant help youvaughn
  • etc12819etc12819 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took my first mule deer with 55grain fmj out of a AR-15 in Montana. Went thru the left shoulder, took the top of the heart off and went thru the right shoulder. The flattened bullet was just under the skin on the right side. My brother and myself both agreed that we had never seen a Mule deer go down so fast.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was living in the fine state of Washington it was law that you had to use a .22 Magnum or larger. I'm assuming that this means there are those that use a .223 rem.
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has taken many whittails with his 223, I have not however I have seen him shoot deer up to and including about 150meters and everyone droped in their tracks just simply amazing to me. Bullet placement is critcal with this cal. in my humble onion Still lovin the 6mm Rem...
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    60 gr Nosler Speer,Barnes in the chestThey dieUse sense[This message has been edited by cpermd (edited 09-03-2001).]
  • etc12819etc12819 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is .24 cal or bigger in Washington now. Not sure when of why they changed it. Dave@cwf
  • hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i can tell you why. because of all the deer wounded and lost when shot with the 223. for every story told about dropping a buck with a 223 theres about 5 stories not told about how the animal ran off to die and was lost because the round was too light. i know some people swear by the 223 for deer, and maybe theyve had good luck, but it really is too light.
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur with hacker. I would not hunt deer with anything smaller than a .243 or 6mm for just the reasons stated.
  • ishootblanksishootblanks Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to use a 223 when there are so many other better calibers out there?
  • orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Utah.I have seen ALOT more deer run off and not be found after being hit with a .243 or .244 (6mm)than with a .223 or 22-250.The 22-250 has awsome shock when it hits and they don't blow threw like the .24 cal. does.........I like a 86 grain speer sptizer delivered from a 25-06 mtself.Oro
  • No BullNo Bull Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy i work with shot one with a custom 24" barrel AR-15 using 55gr SP. It took him 3 shots to put it down. All good hits. Here's something for you to try. Take a .223 SP or HP and a gallon of water. Place a phone book or something behind it. Shoot the water jug. The bullet will explode leaving little to no damage in the phone book. You need decent penatration on game animal. Remember they stand on all fours so you may have to shoot through a foot or more of flesh to get to the vitals depending on the game and angle. If you must use a .223 load some nosler .224 partition. They are new and are designed not to break up. .223 is also illegal in TN not powerful enough.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    leeblackman, Based on the statement that you had a Ruger Mini the load data I provided was good. If I were to have a choice I would use a barrel with a 1-7 or 9 twist that way you could use 69gr bullets and do more terminal damage. If you tried to use that heavy a bullet in the Mini 14 it would most likely keyhole and accuracy would be lousy.Can't say much on the deer front though, they won't allow any 22 cal bullets for hunting deer in MD. RG
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, thanks you guys, I really didn't expect this many replies on this post.From what I've compiled, shot placement is key, when it comes to any caliber.