In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wolf ammo

gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I heard that Wolf ammo messes up the barrel in your rifle. Is this true, specifically .223. Thanks.[8]

Darrell

Comments

• gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now i know it is illeagal to hunt with, but i have some wolf 150 grain FMJ ammo for a .308 at 2800 fps. What would be the killing power of that ammo vs. regular hunting that is made for light skinned game like whitetail deer.

Thankyou and Godbless
    edited November -1
    Hi,I'd just like to get everyone's opinion on Wolf ammo. Is it good? Is it junk?-Marcus
    edited November -1
    Steel case ammo must have some kind of coating,right? Is there a chance of the coating flaking off and getting into gun internals? Have any of you used Wolf ammo and experianced any problems?
    edited November -1
    Have seen some negative remarks about the cheap russian ammo, especially Wolf. I have fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds of the fmj 7.62 x 39 through my sks with no problems. Whats the big deal with the steel case, and coating of the case? Does it wear the extractor that much more than a normal brass case? And does the coating cause that much of a buildup? Is this brand really not well suited for the ar15?
    edited November -1
    I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with wolf ammo firing in their mini 30's.
    edited November -1
    Saw this brand at gun show and noticed the 9mm was in STEEL CASINGS. Does this steel case damage a handgun? Thanks to all replies.
  • ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer Wolf 7.62x39 for my SAR-1, as AK's don't have a spring holding the firing pin back, and I've heard the foreign ammo uses harder primers which can handle a light hit when loading, but some US 7.62x39 with softer primers have a slightly greater chance of slam firing when the round goes into the chamber. I've shot around 500 rounds and have had no problems.Some people think the steel case might wear out extractors a little faster than brass, don't know if that's true or not.Don't know about the .223, etc..., but I'm happy as a clam with the price and quality of the 7.62x39
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried 223, it's ok, shoots pretty good. Do like the 762x39 in the ak's and sks's tho.
    "In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I've heard, but not confirmed, that the .223 is slightly underpowered when compared with USGI. I've had no problems with functioning due to this, but only use it as plinking ammo.The steel cases are harder on AR15 extractors, but with what you save on ammo you can easily afford a bucket of new extractors and still be ahead of the game. AK's are logically designed for this stuff, but I still keep an eye on mine.Wolf cases are lacquered, so if you fire a BUNCH and get the chamber seriously hot you should watch for this stuff building up in the chamber. It can lead to extraction problems. No big deal, just extra cleaning.
  • shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot ALOT of the Wolf 7.62x39 in my sks and have not had any trouble. I do clean my gun very well after each time I go shooting.If you don't your results could differ. The reason I said that about cleaning is becouse I once told someone that a Ruger 10/22 would make them a good gun and after they had it about 6 months they told me I was crazy and the gun would not hold a group for diddly squat. I bought that gun from this person and found the problem,He had NEVER gleaned it at all. I thought he was smarter than that.
    edited November -1
    I was actually more concerned about the 9mm ammo. I figured the 7.62x39 would work good in AK's and the like.-Marcus
  • ICE NINEICE NINE Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot a ton of Wolf 9mm in several carbines and pistols, never had any problems. Its adequate and cheap for plinking and punching holes in paper; I wouldn't use it for carry.
  • J.JohnJ.John Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf is ok. It might be just a tince on the hot side.
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe if you were more interested in the 9mm Wolf ammo, you should have specified it in your first post. More people, including myself, associate Wolf with the 762x39 or 223 ammo vs. the pistol ammo. But like stated above, I have also heard that the pistol ammo seems to be a bit on the hot side. Maybe it is designed more for the carbines than the pistols...
    "In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobody asked but I've never been one to withhold an unsolicited opinion....My wife and I just did an advanced pistol course using Wolf .45ACP. We each fired about 250 rds. She thru her Glock 30 and I thru my Commander. Not an ammo related malfunction all day. Can't say that about the reloads I tried at the last shoot.Mudge
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gravedigger,The only problem I've found with the Wolf 9mm relates to the total length of the round--it's a very long-nosed bullet and in some guns designed for reliable hollow point use (like Ruger's P series pistols) the relative narrow "width" of the magazine will cause problems. The long rounds--expecially if one is using high capacity magazines (15+ rounds)-- will have feeding problems as excessive friction is created when the rounds drag heavily on the front and rear walls of the magazine.Other guns (like a Walther P38) work especially well with Wolf's long-nosed bullet. I have a 213 Tokarev that loves 'em.