In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger#3--H&R Handi Rifle 45/70

Dana DeanDana Dean Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
was thinking about trying to find a #3,but might settle for a handi rifle in 45/70.Had a marlin guide gun last year,it shot way to low and couldn`t stand the ported blast!I bought a Win timber carbine 94 and cut off muzzle brake&recrowned it Love It.Shame marlin didn`t offer a non port bar.now I have a lot of 45/70 ammo.Will the Ruger or H&R stand upper 45/70 loads?,could I stand it in the 6lb. Ruger,lastly accucracy? Thanks

Comments

• gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger will take very heavy loads. The problem is the stock design in the #3 rifle. It will take heavier loads than I was able to take. I happen to like the ported barrel on my 45/70 Thompson Contender barrel.[This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 08-30-2001).]
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Ruger #3 in 45-70, you can load this up to within 300 feet per second of a 458 mag but that would be painfull in a light carbine.
  • Dana DeanDana Dean Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks,thought that #3would have a stout kick.Would most likely scope it and use mid range loads.
  • cwcw Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The H&R is of sound design but not nearly as sound as the Ruger (#1 or 3), one of the strongest chambered for the 45-70. I have both nad I like to think I am not recoil shy but I will not load "full house loads" in either my #3 or handy rifles. Both will pound you if pushed too hard. I have shot many many critters with the 45-70 and my favorite load works fine in either rifle. Use the Speer 400 gr. soft point and load it to 1600 fps. You will need to find the powder primer combonation the your gun prefers. Start with #7 , 4198 or 3031 powders. I hope this helps, CW
    Watch that front sight! Teach a kid to shoot!
  • granny_knotgranny_knot Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a H&R 45/70. I use hand loads of 405 gr. FP over 48 gr of IMR 4895. Hot load. No problems from the load except for a missing rear sight blade. (do not use load data unknown to you PERSONALLY unless you build up to it.) Bob
  • Dana DeanDana Dean Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found a # 3 last week but in 375 Win.Good looking gun with a nice recoil pad.Hard to find gun, and when you do their higher than a #1.I really don`t want one for $500, at least not yet.Thanks for replys.DD