In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FAL/L1A1 CHOICES AND RECOMMENDATIONS

timltiml Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about getting a FAL type rifle and am a bit confused. (Not a surprise) Of the following choices, which are the better and worse chioces? Also are the prices about right? PRICE/CONDITIONFAL imbel receiver Mostly stg parts $550/ VGL1A1 sporter excellent/refinished $430/ ESTG 58A austrian FAL type1 or 2 $800/ EG3 sporter ALUMINUM RECEIVER $500/vgG3 sporter stainless receiver $600/vgG3 sheet metal receiver by Hess Arms$700/vgWhat do you think? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well for starters, a G3 ain't an FAL. As LTS said DSA is one of the top makers of FAL style guns today. They are pricey, but very good in performance and quality. The Century are Century guns it may be awsome it may be a POS. Hit and miss. Entreprise is whipping them up and sound as if they are nice and AZEX out of AZ is always up there with DSA. Kit guns are kit guns, unless you have the skill, time and patience stay away from them. It's not that they are all that diff. just not for the first timer. The FAL style are great guns, the m1a/m14 is better but I own an example of all of the above and am partial to my m14. The FAL's in the "metric" pattern are my favorites the l1a1's are what are the "inch" pattern. Same basic design, which is very sound and reliable. If my FAL wasn't a kit gun I expect it would easily compete with my m14, you get what you pay for.Check out fnfal.com for further and detailed FAL info.Andy
  • timltiml Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information, What I am really looking for is a 308 shooter. It seems the m14 or the G3 are apparently what I want, as a kit gun may be hit or miss...Tim
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Century FAL on an Imbel receiver.Replace the gas system and you have a nice gun.
  • metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I think for the money a FAL is the best "shooter" for the money followed or tied by a Polytech m14. The G3 (HK91, CETME) would be next. If you are collecting or investing or need a High Quality piece then it's a M1A. The G3 is lower on my list only for it's loud bang, mean kick and the worthless brass it spits. It is as accurate and reliable as the rest. If you are just wanting to poke big holes in trees and car doors etc. the FAL's are what you want. 1000 yd siloutte is a differant ball game. Sorry if I mislead you. The FAL's are great shooters. The design is superb, accuracy is in the $500 dollar range, maint. is a breeze (superior to ALL other .308's) and there is a ton of after market crapola for them. Shoot one of each before you make up your mind.Andy
  • KirkstoneKirkstone Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any DSA FAL: Kit gun or one from their own USA made parts. FAL Kit gun from any of these smiths: Arizona Response Systems (ARS), George Gouger (Double G), Arizona Expert Arms (AZEX). Cheap magazines, availability of parts, adjustable gas system so you can shoot just about any surplus in it. Those are the reasons I like the FAL for a 7.62 rifle.
  • timltiml Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. I'll put to the best use I can.