In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W MDL 29

beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Could someone please give me a real world price on a smith&wesson mdl 29 I bought it new say twenty years ago. It is a four inch blue pinned and recessed. I have the wood box plus the blue box all in the card board box they shipped it in and never fired, plus all the paper work. thankyou

Comments

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a "Dirty Hairy" barreled S&W model 29 on this auction, its item number is 1822981. It has been view 455 times according to the counter and so far has not drawn a bid. You might want to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. On the north end of Florida, blue box, little screwdriver, and short cleaning rod mean nothing, unless you are over in the Ft. Walton or Pensacola area.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Item 1822981 was looked at 560 times and did not draw a bid. I believe that will serve as a guide post for the value of the one you mention in your post.
  • marinebadgermarinebadger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the average guy probably wouldn't pay a great deal for it if he was looking for a shooter because he can buy a new one for the same price. My friend ran into a S&W collector who told him how much his unfired in the box Smiths were worth. I would look for someone in the Smith and Wesson collector's association before you sold the gun to someone else. You may be able to get double what has been estimated here if you have papers and all the goodies.
  • mbinkerdmbinkerd Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the blue book and since you stated that it has never been fired, it's worth $400 plus 10-15% for the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. Its last MSRP was $574 in 1998. Hope this helps. Good luck and "Long live Dirty Harry"!
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there are M29's and there are M29's. Certain variations bring considerably more money than others. For example, Model 29-2 guns do bring a premium, and of course 4-screw M29 and 5-screw pre-M29 bring a larger premium. It is a specialized market, though, and finding the right buyer can be difficult. I just bought a 6 1/2" nickel 29-2 to fill a hole in my collection.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com