In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for a bolt action...any suggestions?

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
ok....im an auto man, semi or full, and thats all i own. However lately i feel myself longing for a bolt action. I'd like to have something that...- will be very accurate at 500 yards - under $750- it will be used for target shooting mainly- .308 if possible unless you have suggestions- light weight / all weather characteristicsyour opinions dont have to completely meet all of the above criteria though.Thanks for any suggestions in advance. [This message has been edited by Kadaver (edited 09-04-2001).][This message has been edited by Kadaver (edited 09-04-2001).]

Comments

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage Tactical, then spend the money you saved on optics.
    edited November -1
    Leupold mounts and rings, with a Springfield Armory Mil-dot 10x50mm Ill. ret 30mmTube Scope. Drop in a nice aftermarket trigger, break in the barrel right, and handload match ammo. You get Sub MOA no question bout dat.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage with a new stock-HS is coming out with one.Then add an aftermarket trigger.Rem 700BDL w standard barrel,adjusted trigger and HS or Brown stock,This would be lighter.Rem 700P
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I think the best gun for the money is the Howa. It's not the best gun built, but it is a very, very good gun and a lot cheaper than say a Remington. Next choice would be a Ruger 77. I personally would go with a 30.06. You cab hand load it down to a .308, or upload it for big game. Also, there are many more off the shelf choices in ammunition. Let us know what you decide.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • GunnersmateGunnersmate Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a savage weather warrior model 116. .270 caliber stainless steel with an overmolded synthetic stock. Under $400 and has the same if not better ballistics as the .308. Very flat trejectory. Although the rounds are a little expensive, I think this is an excellent cartridge. Highly accurate.
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well....ive looked around and i like the look of the Ruger sporter m77 (the light grained color stock, not the all weather). I like the cost and since its just gonna be a toy anyway i figure i should buy a ruger and invest in some serious optics. i have two other rugers already so i am very comfortable with buying another. I guess i would really like to have a Remington PSS with detachable magazine but id rather put that $900 into a rifle + accessories rather then just the rifle.
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perhaps a savage though....=-)
    edited November -1
    Everyone I know who got a Savage Tactical is still very happy with it.
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just LOVE my Steyr SSG PII....put a Burris 6-24x50 on it, and have yet to miss....but wasnt cheap tho.
    edited November -1
    A Steyr with a Burris, no, you were supposed to put a Swarovski Z/ZM on it like in all the pictures......Don't mind me, I'm just jealous.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Man, I wish Savage would chamber a 110 in 250-3000,the daddy of the 22-250.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
    edited November -1
    Buy a .22-250 and have it rechambered for it.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Lee,it`s a 25 caliber,same case.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?