In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SKS

AGMIKEAGMIKE Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a Russian SKS, dated 1954,7.62x39. Very good condition looks like new. about what would it be worth. Thanks in advance.

Grayghost

Comments

• AGMIKEAGMIKE Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is $150 a fair price for SKS(china)? It's in good/very good condition and comes with an after market folding stock, a bi-pod and a 30 rd. mag (plastic) It also includes the original clip, 10 stripper clips and wood stock. I've seen over 1,000 rounds fired through it and it seem reliable. Should I pick it up?

PS - and no I'm not in California.
    edited November -1
    I notice that a few Russian SKS rifles have different magazines on them.
    Did they came with them or were they modified to accept a detachable magazine?
    edited November -1
    anybody have any opinions on the zytel mags for sks's.
    i see SOG has them for $13 ea. 30 rds.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
    edited November -1
    Whats a good way to clean the chamber of an sks? My brush doesnt touch the edges.

Thanks

Larry
    runroom_x.gif
    edited November -1
    MUST be getting to old.selling my sks and can:t remender how to get standard mag back in. help please. thanks

DON
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at some SKS's for a while now and I am thinking of getting on to add too the collection. But it seems the SKS is alot like the AK type rifles. Some people look at where it was made. I am looking for a all around good shooter so what would you all think one of the better makers are?
    edited November -1
    Was thinking of trying to order a couple of those Romanian Sks`s before there all sold from SOG if they haven`t already.Was wondering about their quality compared to the Chinese I bought 8 yrs ago.It looks little rough,but hasen`t jammed and shoots under 2 MOA.Any ideas,thanks DD
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the gerande launching features from my SKS along with the bayonet?
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for advise on Buyer Beware when shopping for an SKS. Are they all used military weapons 40+ years old or are there new SKS's?
    edited November -1
    How is the SKS Sporter different than a reguler SKS? Will it accept AK mags?
    edited November -1
    About how mch is a russian sks 1943 7.62x39 in very good condition worth?
    edited November -1
    Can a Chinese SKS be converted to use AK type clips?
    edited November -1
    what would be a good scope for a sks? It has been said rear mount scopes wont hold. thanks fr any and all advice
    edited November -1
    I bought a Chinese SKS. I'm looking to find incentorator rounds for the SKS. I found them once and forgot to book mark the page. Can anyone help me out?
    edited November -1
    As far as accuracy goes, what can i expect from an sks at 200 yds.
    Would say a Saiga in .223 be a more accurate rifle.
    edited November -1
    hi; i have a friend that moved from pa. to fla,he left sks at my place; now he wants me to ship to him; it is registered to him;what are the best ways to handle this?
  • luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some arsenal new SKS rifles still out there, but not many, and you will pay a premium for them. The Russian and Romanian SKSs are older military issue (few are unfired). Many Chinese rifles were made several years ago for export to the US before the folw was stopped. You may be able to find one of those, NIB.If you are buying the rifle to shoot, and not as a collector's item, there is not one thing wrong with a used, refurbished rifle! Many of the ones listed at auction have new barrels and shoot better than a "new" gun. They're not old worn out junk by any means.The Russian guns sell for more than the Romanians, but there is not alot of difference when you shoot the gun. I've had both and the Romainian SKSs are good values, plus they are C&R rifles so they come with the bayonet and can be owned in some places that prohibit other SKSs (yes I mean Calif.!).I'm selling my last SKS right now (so I can get another Garand for my collection), and I have to say it's a darn fine rifle. Easy to shoot, cheap to feed, and doesn't jam - ever. If you're interested, write me at liberty7476_2000@yahoo.com and I can send you pix.
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chinese paratroopers! Now there's a scary thought! Actually, I remember these quite well when they were being sold--ran a few through the shop. They were of Chinese origin, but I doubt (although don't know for sure) if that was other than a sales pitch as one would expect elite troops to use something more modern and AK47-74ish with a folding stock. Small Arms of the World gets into Chinese militaria pretty well and shows some handy-dandy AK-types but makes no mention of a SKS Paratrooper Model. By the way, what type of a Carcano did it turn out to be?
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AGMIKE, the only New SKS's that came into the country were the Chinese and Yugoslav ones. The Russian and Romanian guns were all used. Some were refurbished to "like new", but they were not "new". Unfortunately many of the distributors and dealers either knowingly or unknowingly marketed and sold them as a "new" rifle, but they were in error. If you looked closely enough and knew what you were looking for, you could see they had been refinished, stocks replaced, parts replaced, sometimes restamped to match, etc. They were in excellent shape, don't get me wrong, just not "NEW".As for the new ones from Yugoslavia, haven't seen one in over 10 -12 years. They were always hard to find and very expensive. Most people didn't even know that they ever came into the country. Now as for the Chinese, there were lots of those of course. There were refurbished and used available from China too, but the majority of what came from them were new. Some of their "new" ones were made in the 1960's and 1970's, but were in fact new, just out of storage. They did have new ones from the 1980's and 1990's too, but you'll find that they started to cut some corners on those made for the US market. They went to the stamped trigger guards and pinned-in barrels. The earlier Chinese guns had the milled trigger guards and screwed-in barrels, just like the Russian and Romanian guns from the 1950's and 1960's. There were a number of variations of Chinese guns available in there day. Paratroopers (Full size rifles cut down for the US market from a 20 inch barrel to a 16.5 inch.) There was also the "cowboy", same thing as the paratrooper, but no slot in the stock for a bayonet and no bayonet itself. The detachable AK mag fed models with and later without bayonet. There are still some "new" SKS's out there, I've still got some available. However I'll have to concur with the previous posts that there is nothing wrong with most of the refurbished or used SKS's out there. Just make sure you get one that has all original matching numbers, the milled trigger guard and screwed in barrel are a plus too. BTW, if anyone tries to sell you one bragging that it has a "Milled" receiver, don't be impressed, THEY ALL HAD MILLED RECEIVERS.SP, there were supposedly some actual paratrooper models made, but 99% of the ones found in this country were just the standard size gun cut down to a paratrooper size. Anything to get that US dollar. There were even a few Chinese SKS's made as prototypes in .22LR and some prototypes made in .223 cal. Both were destined for the US market. Now if you have one of either of those, you've got something.
  • gad38gad38 Member Posts: 179
    edited November -1
    I had a Chinese SKS "Paratrooper" model. It also had a shorter barrel with no bayonet and a light colored stock..............Greg
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I noticed that they come with different bayonets. One is longer and more pointed than the other........both fold underneath the stock. Is one worth more than the other?I'm looking to aquire one from a store here that has many of them.
    Guns don't kill people, it's the bullets.. stupidI am the NRAnjretcop@keepandbeararms.comol.com
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a paratrooper model with the 16.5 inch barrel, but unlike the others mentioned above it has the bayonet on it. Also aren't the ones that take the AK mags called the sporter model? So far I really like the SKS, but it is a little heavy, for the money they are had to beat though.