In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Metal Gun Vice Suggestions 2

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
quote:Originally posted by He Dog
Seems obvious, but have you checked Brownell's and Midway?
I rather assumed you would have. If you cannot find it there, it is probably not out there as you want it and that leaves you little choice but to build your own.From the previous post, I was actually considering making my own gun vice.

Its a good idea and it is interesting that you would mention that as I was considering making my own as well and am actually a pretty good craftsman of which it would be a worthwhile endeavor; drawing from the old adage if you want something done right to do it yourself as they say.
If you have some construction ideas I would be interested.
Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by cpermd
I have a lot of vices.
But only two vises.
I have a large general purpose bench vise and a nice older Pittsburgh cross slide.
I use leather, aluminum or lead between the vice jaws and the item being worked.CP
quote:Originally posted by I.Shute
CP -
I also use leather, aluminum or lead in my VISE jaws, but my vices don't have jaws.

Actually, it is the correct English spelling in the U.K. as it is the Americans that differentiate the two spellings and not the English.

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make a vise?? There are lots of cheap heavy duty vises on the market.
    Don't get one too small.
  • JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Make a vise?? There are lots of cheap heavy duty vises on the market. Don't get one too small.

If you know of a good metal gun vice with rubber pads and such that looks like a gun sight vice such as a Tipton, Koplin, Lyman or MTM but metal and not plastic please post a link to it; otherwise there are the gunsmith vices, but the gun sight vices are preferable and can also be used as a rest or to sight in as well.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just what are you wanting this vice to do [?] Hold a gun to work on or for sighting in [?]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Just what are you wanting this vice to do [?] Hold a gun to work on or for sighting in [?]

Yes, both hold the gun to work on and for sighting in amongst other things, I and some others apparently just don't care for the light weight plastic gun sight vices that while you can lay the rifle in and clamp down for example to work on they are so light weight that they are not very stable to work on in my opinion. For example if you wanted to use a punch and hammer to change the front sight of a rifle, it would be kind of difficult doing that by your self with one of the plastic jobs unless you can secure it to the bench somehow and then is the plastic frame going to be strong enough like a metal frame would be to do so without cracking. Its also good to be able to take that same gun sight vice and be able to use it to sight in with as a gun rest, for cleaning, for repairs, bluing, staining, etc, it should just be more versatile in my opinion and being made of metal it would be, I just don't like plastic is all especially when it really should be made of metal. Most of my firearms are the old metal and wood configuration as well and when I do happen to get a gun that has a plastic stock I will normally change the furniture to wood.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I finally think I get what you are asking.

There are wood and plastic versions of the "gun vices" that are meant for cleaning and mounting scopes or doing minor repairs.

opplanet-tipton-cleaning-and-gunsmithing-gun-vise-782731.jpg

Then there are shooting "vices" that are usually made of metal that have spots for sandbags to hold the gun steady when shooting.

336647-large.jpg

Then you have bench vices.

412MM54WY0L._SS500_.jpg

I have one of each style (other then my shooting vice is a RCBS RASS).

Here is my work bench (please dont mind the mess that day). As you can see I have a Tipton gun vice in the back that hardly gets used. The 4" vice I have gets used all the time ($40 China special from Home Depot). As you can see I am using a block for holding guns that use AR mags.

DSC06158.jpg

I have not seen a do it all vice like I believe you are talking about.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a gun vise, I prefer the wooden ones, that are well built with lots of adjustability. I use them for cleaning and mounting scopes, recoil pads, etc.

For my metal working, and sight installation, I use a bench like the blue one Nwcid posted. You can find the Tipton plastic, or other brand wood gun vises' at Midway or Brownells. The Bench vise you can find all shapes and sizes at Home Depot, Lowes, or your local Hardware.

Best
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harbor Freight has a bunch of vises too, in a bunch of configurarions, if you have one locally. An iron or steel vise is probably something you don't want to pay shipping on.
    edited November -1
    Some good ideas and I will check into Harbor Freight as well.
    Thanks.